Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

'Failure configuring service pack. Reverting Changes'

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 34 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Mar-2011, 01:53 PM #1
'Failure configuring service pack. Reverting Changes'
I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium x64, trying to install service pack 1 thru windows update. First time I tried to install along with some other updates and it failed to download. Second time I downloaded on its own and it installed fine. Computer then restarted and displayed 'Failure configuring service pack. Reverting Changes'. Now it keeps restarting and doing the same thing over. Please help! I can't access my computer while this is happening. Thanks.
Computer Specs
Member with 97 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-Mar-2011, 05:00 PM #2
press "f8" key after bios post but before windows load(press multiple times to be sure) then select "last good configuration"( or somthing like that) then go to control panel/ uninstall a program (in category view) click "view installed updates" on the left pane and remove service pack 1.
if the last good configuration dont work try with "safe mode"
Computer Specs
Member with 34 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Mar-2011, 05:31 PM #3
Thanks for your help. I should have said, after a few restarts I was able to log in but the update had failed. I'm reluctant to try to install it again because it will probably do the same thing. From what I've read it's not really worth installing anyway. Any thoughts?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,770 posts.

30-Mar-2011, 06:05 PM #4
My advice is to uninstall all security applications except for the Windows firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials and try again. (Reinstall after the update.)

Others advise when having trouble with the Windows Update method to download SP1 from Microsofts' web site.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!