Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows 7 runs only in Safe Mode

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 46 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
02-Apr-2011, 07:36 PM #1
Unhappy Windows 7 runs only in Safe Mode
Hi, I have a Toshiba Satellite L505-S5986 Laptop. It started out with a problem with the speakers not working and the USB ports also didn't work when that happened. It now freezes up at the desktop when I power up. It will only run in Safe Mode. I have reset it back to factory defaults 3 times and nothing seems to work to fix this problem. I am able to run it in Safe Mode with Networking and managed to get Hijackthis downloaded. I have a log file ready if you want it. Please help! I've been working on this thing for 5 days now and am ready to round file it. Below is the system information for that computer.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium , 32 bit
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II Dual-Core M300, x64 Family 16 Model 6 Stepping 2
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 2812 Mb
Graphics Card: AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 , 256 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 228862 MB, Free - 210574 MB;
Motherboard: TOSHIBA, Portable PC, Base Board Version, None
Antivirus: Norton Internet Security, Updated and Enabled

It says it has Norton, but the subscription for that ran out and it now has AVG instead. I don't know why it says it has Norton.

Thank you very much for any help you can give me. I'm at my wit's end. (some days that's a very short trip, lol)

Elizabeth
Account Disabled with 5,251 posts.

Experience: Advanced
02-Apr-2011, 07:50 PM #2
Is there any USB device or other dongle or card you are adding and installing drivers with after the factory reset or any Microsoft updates? Or does the problem start immeadiately on first boot after factory reset? If its immeadiately after factory reset then it probably is a hardware problem. You could try testing your memory and see if it passes with MemTest86. You could also try a LINUX LIVE CD distro like Ubuntu and see if that runs the comuter mroe normally as a test or if it has problems also.
Computer Specs
Member with 46 posts.

02-Apr-2011, 08:13 PM #3
It is immediately after reset. I am currently trying a clean boot and seeing if I can find the culprit. I stopped half of the startups and the problem is fixed, so I'm now narrowing it down.
Computer Specs
Member with 46 posts.

02-Apr-2011, 08:46 PM #4
I performed a clean boot and disabled all microsoft services under the services tab then gradually turned back on all the startup programs. It never froze up again at all. So, either it's one of the microsoft services, or it's something else. I still have them all hidden and disabled, although "My Toshiba" announces at startup that it has a problem and it restarts itself. I will run it as it is for now, I guess. Is there anything else I should do? Should I unhide/enable the Microsoft Services selectively like I did the startup items? Or can I do that? The USB ports and speakers still don't work, though, so I guess I need help in figuring that out also. ::sigh::

Thank you for the help thus far. I greatly appreciate any and all help. I've been at this so long now I am no longer thinking clearly, lol. My dreams have been taken over by this "problem child" of a computer. ::head in hands:: At least it's working for the moment in Normal Mode. That will make it easier to work with it while trying to figure out how to fix it right and permanently.

03-Apr-2011, 06:10 AM #5
Factory resets are supposed to eliminate those types of problems/conflicts.
Is there quite a bit of crapware included with the system OS?
If so maybe running PC Decrapifier or uninstalling such programs will catch something problematic...or maybe it will keep mostly working now (most likely wishful thinking).
USB and speakers not working might mean its a flakey motherboard still though.
Junior Member with 23 posts.

Experience: Jimi Hendrix
03-Apr-2011, 05:18 PM #6
Hi This worked for me when I had the same problem >>>> Open Msconfig - Boot tab.
Make sure you have UNchecked the item "safe boot"
Computer Specs
Member with 46 posts.

03-Apr-2011, 06:07 PM #7
Thanks, Fairnooks. One thing I forgot to mention is that I was getting zapped whenever my finger(s) got near a USB port. It was a pretty good zap. It made me concerned about a possible short, but I don't know how that could happen. It was just that one day, though. It's not zapping me now. Some days I can spend the whole day getting zapped every time I get near metal, like the freezer doors at the grocery store, or my car door, etc. I try not to get near a computer on those days unless I have a static strap on me.

Thank you, Frog88. I'll check that out. Oh, it was already unchecked. Nothing was checked in the boot tab, nor in the advanced part.

So far everything else is running ok. It's slow, but it always was. Oh, I had to turn off Sleep Mode because it won't wake up. I had to turn it on instead. Now it just cat naps. Any other ideas about why the speakers and USB ports won't work? If the speakers work, the USB ports work and vice-versa. I don't know what the connection is.

Thank you all for your ideas and help. It's all appreciated greatly.

Elizabeth

Oh, I'll try PC decrapifyer (?) There was a lot of non-essential stuff, but I did delete some of it. Some of it I couldn't.

Last edited by Silverbirch1; 03-Apr-2011 at 06:16 PM.. Reason: remembered another item
Computer Specs
Member with 86 posts.

03-Apr-2011, 06:42 PM #8
have you physically checked the USB ports, it might be that one of them is damaged causing a short.
Member with 41 posts.

04-Apr-2011, 09:36 AM #9
If you are getting an electrical shock whenver you get near a USB port you probably have hardware issues that need to be addressed first. Your computer isn't supposed to shock you!

04-Apr-2011, 03:58 PM #10
Quote:
Your computer isn't supposed to shock you!
Well, not like THAT anyway.
Computer Specs
Member with 46 posts.

04-Apr-2011, 07:20 PM #11
ttifrum & Old Weird Pro: I haven't opened up the laptop to look at its insides, yet. From the outside there appears to be nothing out of the norm. It hasn't shocked me since then, so I've put the matter on the back burner for the moment. Partly this is because I am apparently very conductive. One of my places of employment had to provide me with an anti-static pad because I kept causing my computer to have errors apparently just by touching the keyboard. On certain days, (especially if there is an east wind), I will draw static from just about anything. My hair even seems to have a life of it's own. lol

fairnooks: heheheheh yeah.
Member with 41 posts.

05-Apr-2011, 09:18 AM #12
We had a mainframe operator back in the 70's who was not allowed to physcially touch the mainframe. We had three documented cases where the 360 went down immediately after he touched it. As long as he was at the terminal things were OK, and he could change tapes and paper, etc. But if he touched the case of the mainframe then BAM! Down it went! So I can understand your plight.

If you co a clean boot (wipe the disc clean and reload a fresh copy of the OS) and things still don't work you may have a hardware problem. If Device Manager shows all the devices are OK and that all the drivers are OK then it's pretty much going to be hardware, not the OS.
Computer Specs
Member with 46 posts.

05-Apr-2011, 09:55 PM #13
Actually, the device manager shows a problem with the audio driver, but updating it was a fail. Says it has the most up to date driver already. I can't roll it back because it's the same one it came with. I am seriously considering wiping it and loading a fresh copy of Windows 7.
Member with 41 posts.

07-Apr-2011, 09:43 AM #14
That would be my next move. Just do a fresh install, don't do any driver updates at all just do the install, then reboot one time and test audio as well as check Device Manager.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
freezing computer, safe mode only, windows 7 32 bit

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!