Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Preloaded Win7: Need help with formatting hard disk & reinstallation!!

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
11-Apr-2011, 06:14 AM #1
Exclamation Preloaded Win7: Need help with formatting hard disk & reinstallation!!
Hi All,

I am neither too technical nor a computer illiterate... I request you all to help me accordingly...

My Lenovo laptop came with preloaded Windows7 64 bit OS and MS Office 2010. I was not given any CDs for softwares or Drivers at all. It came with 2 partitions: C Drive of 275GB and D drive of 175GB. I wish to make separate partitions for windows and data storage i.e. I want C drive of about 75GB and the remaining 375GB to be D drive (just to be more organised)

Here are my questions:

a) If I have to format my entire hard disk, and make partitions according to my convenience, how should I install the OS? I mean, I know how to install an operating system from a bootable CD. But how should I make a fresh installation on a pre loaded system and how do I go about formatting the disk?

b) Doesnt pre loaded software mean it is stored on the hard disk? How do I know where it is stored?

c) If I format the hard disk completely and make fresh partitions, am I not losing the OS and MS Office softwares? What should I do to keep it but still make the desired changes successfully?

d) I assume that the pre loaded softwares can be taken out into DVDs? If yes, how do I do it? And is it possible for me to make the softwares pre-loaded again, after formatting the disk?

e) I have the product key for my Windows 7 OS mentioned at the bottom of my laptop. I do not have any product keys for MS Office 2010 that also came as a preloaded software on this system! So if I do a fresh installation, where should I find the product key for MS Office 2010?

Thanks in advance!!
Shree
Computer Specs
Member with 2,631 posts.

11-Apr-2011, 07:50 AM #2
have you got the manual,
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

11-Apr-2011, 08:23 AM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by huggie54 View Post
have you got the manual,
No, I dont have any manual... No paperwork at all! No CDs given either)
mel8again mel8again is offline mel8again has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 767 posts.

11-Apr-2011, 08:27 AM #4
What is the model number? According to Lenovo you are able to make your own recovery disks one time. If you received no disks then the recovery is in the second partition. You can also buy recovery disks if you wish. You should be looking at the support pages at http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...homeLenovo.do##

Last edited by mel8again; 11-Apr-2011 at 08:35 AM..
Member with 41 posts.

Experience: Advanced
11-Apr-2011, 08:38 AM #5
Before you do anything else, create a set of Windows 7 recovery discs. There will be software to do this already on your computer. In fact, your computer should have been popping up nag screens from the first time you booted telling you to make recovery discs. In case you totally FUBAR your machine you can use the recovery discs to reload Windows 7.

The copy of MSO 2010 that's on your machine is a preload, it is not licensed for use. You only receive a product activation key after you purchase the license, either from a retailer or from Micro$oft. Once you have that key I recommend sending a copy to at least two interwebz email accounts and printing out a copy to put in a safe place with other important documents. What you're paying for is the license key so that's like gold. Also, download a copy of MSO 2010 (whichever version you buy a license for) from Microsoft and burn that along with a text document with your license key number to a DVD, maybe even two DVDs and put those in a safe place as well. This gives you both the code to install and the product key to activate it should you ever need to reformat or replace your hard drive.

As for partitioning your hard drive into a boot partition and a data partition, why? You will not see any performance benefit and it actually makes managing your data more difficult, since literally all programs want to save data to the C:\My Documents folder. That's the default for just about every program that runs on Windows. If it doesn't improve performance and makes your workflow less efficient, why do it? My best advice is to leave things like they are. Just create a set of recovery discs, buy a MSO 2010 license, download a copy of MSO from the internet and burn that to disc along with your license key so you can recover from a hard disk crash in the future.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,631 posts.

11-Apr-2011, 08:41 AM #6
hiya,if you do not want to save anything from your PC,reboot your machine tapping F11and a screen will appear giving you the option to restore to factory settings,once restored then you can change the size of your disc drives via disc management
mel8again mel8again is offline mel8again has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 767 posts.

11-Apr-2011, 08:46 AM #7
This guy is running two threads. See the other one at http://forums.techguy.org/windows-7/...e-missing.html
Computer Specs
Moderator with 67,231 posts.

11-Apr-2011, 08:01 PM #8
Please continue in the other thread.

Just wanna make a comment about OldWeirdPro's concern about a separate data partition. I now do that (and relocate My Documents, My Pictures, etc.). Doing so causes no extra problems, but also doesn't add many benefits. I like it because if I have to re-image a system from backups my data is still up to date.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
format hard disk, ms office 2010, preloaded os, reinstall os, windows7 64 bit

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!