Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Not recognized as Administrator

(!)

Junior Member with 11 posts.

17-Apr-2011, 04:34 PM #1
Not recognized as Administrator
Several weeks ago, I installed Windows 7 (64-bit) over XP Pro (32-bit). I had enormous problems so re-installed 7 using disk format.

A number of functions were improved but basic problems remained: can't access Control Panel, can't delete many files, can only reach URLs by double-clicking on an icon then quickly clicking on Internet Explorer 8 (64-bit), can only access installed programs by clicking on "Run as Administrator," etc.

I've come to the conclusion that the OS does not recognize me as Administrator, though I created an Adminiistrator Account for myself. This surmise was confirmed in running Belarc Advisor which showed:

X Administrator 7/13/ 2009 10:08:59 P.M.

The red "X" indicating the Administator Account was "Disabled." A User Account for me was shown.

Note the strange date on the disabled Administrator Account.

Basic question: How can I establish myself as Administrator?

As always, thanks in advance for helpful replies.

SC
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,476 posts.

17-Apr-2011, 08:44 PM #2
Did you run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor before installing? And it raised no serious issues?

What Windows 7 version and from where did you purchase it?

18-Apr-2011, 03:01 AM #3
Yes, I ran the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor before installing. I still have it. The only red Xs are "Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1" and "Windows Defender" as "Not compatible."

The softare is an OEM version of Windows 7 (64-bit). I think I bought it from Amazon or NewEgg.

SC
Computer Specs

18-Apr-2011, 08:59 AM #4
All I can suggest is to try the install again. There is no way you should be having any of those problems, much less all of them, with a new install.

18-Apr-2011, 03:22 PM #5
Thanks for your reply.

I have no faith that a new install with this software will help me, since with it I've done two clean installs, the second time using disk format. Since this is an OEM version, there's no support.

Although having to buy Windows 7 (64-bit) software again is a horrible waste of money, if I do that do I have to do a Clean Install?

SC
Computer Specs

18-Apr-2011, 04:02 PM #6
Maybe try the 32-bit install, just to see if that makes a difference on your machine?
OVERLORDCHAOS OVERLORDCHAOS is offline OVERLORDCHAOS has a Profile Picture
OVERLORDCHAOS has a Photo Album
Member with 238 posts.

Experience: Hawking
18-Apr-2011, 06:18 PM #7
i have a fix for you.
open the group policy editor
go to computer configuration > windows settings > security settings > local policies > security options > accounts: state of the administrator account: (enable it)
also: accounts: accounts: change the name of the administrator account (put some nick you want, to make it safer; fo example if your name its john doe and you want to put john doe, or whatever you feel to )
log off. start the administrator account. go to the control panel and put a password to the account (to make it safer)
then choose your normal account and make sure your account its from the administrator group.
once done do the firsts steps and disable the administrator account (for security reasons)

18-Apr-2011, 08:19 PM #8
Overloard --

Thanks a heap You've given me hope. Please stay with me.

I've followed your instructions up the point of "LogOff" which I did no do because I'm a bit confused about what you mean by "choose your normal account and make sure your account is from the administrator group."

If you will spell out the steps after logging on again a little more clearly for this relative newbie, I will greatly appreciate it.

SC
Member with 238 posts.

18-Apr-2011, 08:26 PM #9
ok i will carry up from the log off part (assuming you already log off from your account)
1: log in with the administrator account
2: go into the control panel > user accounts
3: put a password to your account and/or the administrator one.
4: (when you are done with the previous step) choose manage another account and choose your normal account (not the administrator one)
5: choose change account type and select administrator (if its selected as limited user) if its already selected as admin, may be a bug, choose limited user. do this step again and choose again administrator.
6: (when you are done with the previous step) log off and check if your account has administrative priviledges.
if so, (if the account its fixed) do the firsts steps from my previous post, but for disable the administrator account. its dangereous maintain enabled the administrator account specially if you are newbie because if a virus enters into your pc and gets hold to run as administrator... you pc would be toast lol
if you want me to explain whats your normal account. its the one that its not the administrator one.
for example, if your name its charlie, your account would be charlie account.
the administrator one (even renamed as you want to but to this example named admin) its the administrator account built in on windows vista-windows 7.
you log in with the admin account do the changes i tell you, log off enter with the charlie account and review if the error its fixed. if it is disable the admin account.
if not reply back. even if it fixed lol.

Last edited by OVERLORDCHAOS; 18-Apr-2011 at 08:43 PM..

21-Apr-2011, 04:35 PM #10
Overlord --

I've followed your instructions all the way to "5: choose change account type and select 'administrator'."

One can select the "Administrator" button, but when one does, the "Change Account Type" box below becomes grayed out and cannot be selected. When I tried this a second time, the "Change Account Type" box stayed selectable, but after clicking it and a delay, the message appeared "Trouble conveying command." Rebooting showed that nothing had changed.

Rebooting again and selecting the (renamed) administrator account and once again going to "choose change account type and select 'administrator'" produced the same result as above.

The hobbled use of the computer remains what it was. FWIW, when the "Administrator Account" is selected, only half of the desktop icons installed appear.

If there is any further guidance you can give, I will of course appreciate it.

SC
Member with 238 posts.

21-Apr-2011, 04:43 PM #11
thats normal. many programs does not put shortcuts on other users accounts (specially admin since it is does not meant to be used normally)
if you choosed while installing programs: "only for this user" will be hard to use the program with other user rather that with the account you choosed to.
there is one more solution to this issue but you may not like it, do all the steps up to the number 2 (select manage another account)
but in this case create a new account for you starcapt, name it as you wish, choose to be from the administrator group, and put a password for security.
log off, and test the new account. if it has administrative priviledges do the step 6 on my previous post.
let me know if it works ^_^_^!!!
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 11,259 posts.

Experience: Advanced
22-Apr-2011, 11:54 AM #12
If any program was installed and the option to NOT allow all users, then these programs icons will not appear on other users desktop.
Along that same line any icon to a file or program that is not included in the "Public" (Windows 7) desktop, will only be on that users desktop that added it.
Member with 238 posts.

22-Apr-2011, 11:59 AM #13
sure, but he has a damaged non administrative account.
even if he reformats the pc and do the OEM reinstall, this will continue happening since its a recovery partition or whatever its called.
the best option its to create a new account with admin priviledges and create manually shortcuts. (i did it since now i am using administrator account all day long. deleted my old account was pissing me off so she needed to die LOL )
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!