Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Do you like the windows 7 and windows vista look and feel

(!)

View Poll Results: What OS look and feel do you like better?
I like windows 7 look and feel 23 69.70%
I like windows vista look and feel 1 3.03%
I like windows XP look and feel 6 18.18%
I like windows 98 look and feel 0 0%
I like none of the above look and feel 0 0%
I like windows 98 and windows XP look and feel 3 9.09%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Member with 1,029 posts.

Experience: Understanding basic PC hardware
05-May-2011, 08:41 PM #1
Do you like the windows 7 and windows vista look and feel
Do you like the windows 7 and windows vista look and feel or like windows XP /98 look and feel better?

I think windows XP and windows 98 is more user friendly for adavance computer users and tech guys where windows 7 and windows vista more user friendly for novice but not for adavance computer users and tech guys .

I also like the classic start menu ,classic control panel and classic file manager.( but windows vista and windows 7 thinks this is really bad as Microsoft thinks this is bad) The Libary thing in windows 7 is really good but the pining of application to taskbar is nock of a crude way copying Mac OS X dock. I hate it really bad.

Windows 7 taskbare is so bad.

I voted windows 98 and windows XP look and feel.

Note I did not add Linux or Mac has I do not want this thread to turn into a flame war.This thread is about windows no other OS look and feel.

Last edited by zergpc208; 05-May-2011 at 08:49 PM..
Hermitt43   (Jim) Hermitt43 is offline Hermitt43 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 752 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
05-May-2011, 09:02 PM #2
I voted that I like Windows 7 look & feel best.

Jim
Account Disabled with 6,319 posts.

05-May-2011, 09:49 PM #3
With windows 7,you can right click the taskbar and click properties.
Set taskbar buttons to never combine.
You will be back to the normal button layout.
In things like control panel,click the view by link on the top right
and select large or small icons.
Whichever is more comfortable.
Member with 1,029 posts.

07-May-2011, 11:19 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroys1000 View Post
With windows 7,you can right click the taskbar and click properties.
Set taskbar buttons to never combine.
You will be back to the normal button layout.
In things like control panel,click the view by link on the top right
and select large or small icons.
Whichever is more comfortable.
The icons in windows 7 in control panel have been removed.The columns is only option they give you that is a very very very very very very crude way of the classic view.Yes the taskbar can be change but it will not look classic.Only windows 7 ultimate gives you option for classic taskbar like windows XP do to complaints of training employees of windows 7 in the work place.

Windows is always a lock OS with a mentality of like it or leave it , not a OS that allow people to change it the way the OS looks an feels .

In end computer techs hardly use the GUI other than control panel and device manager. Most computer techs use command prompt than GUI so much faster.So this hardly a issue with computer techs .

For the most part 95% of computer users have no need for classic file manager has it is too dangerous .And winows 9.x was too dangerous for computer novice.The windows vista and windows 7 GUI is built to show you where you should be working and using 95% of the time and have no need to acess the other parts.The windows vista and windows 7 GUI was built for computer novice.

It not a issue with computer techs has most computer techs use command prompt and the start run command to open a program.Only non computer techs click start and programs list and search for program.Most computer techs click start and type name program and open.

This is okay for computer techs that love to use command prompt and the start run command but not so good for people that like to use the GUI.

Last edited by zergpc208; 07-May-2011 at 11:24 PM..
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

08-May-2011, 02:42 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by zergpc208 View Post
The icons in windows 7 in control panel have been removed.The columns is only option they give you that is a very very very very very very crude way of the classic view.Yes the taskbar can be change but it will not look classic.Only windows 7 ultimate gives you option for classic taskbar like windows XP do to complaints of training employees of windows 7 in the work place.

Windows is always a lock OS with a mentality of like it or leave it , not a OS that allow people to change it the way the OS looks an feels .
I have Windows 7 Home Premium and have the Classic Taskbar look. Yes, It does look like Win 9X/XP. Also, the control panel displays icons like in previous versions.

I don't have any use for the aero effects. I would be happy to post screen shots if you don't believe me. I even re-enabled the quicklaunch toolbar which is disabled by default but can be reinserted back in.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

08-May-2011, 03:21 PM #6
zergpc208, you post a lot of opinions and assumptions, most of which are either flat out wrong or don't make any sense.

Quote:
The icons in windows 7 in control panel have been removed.
Nothing has been removed. The interface is different.
Quote:
The columns is only option they give you that is a very very very very very very crude way of the classic view.
I have no idea what this is referring to.
Quote:
Yes the taskbar can be change but it will not look classic.Only windows 7 ultimate gives you option for classic taskbar like windows XP do to complaints of training employees of windows 7 in the work place.
The taskbar in Windows 7 is different. It has different functionality. Some people like it. Some don't. It's neither better nor worse.
Quote:
This doesn't make any sense to me. What are you comparing Windows to? Mac OS? I'm not aware of an alternative to Windows that is somehow more customizable.
Quote:
In end computer techs hardly use the GUI other than control panel and device manager. Most computer techs use command prompt than GUI so much faster.So this hardly a issue with computer techs .
I don't know anyone who accesses programs in Windows solely through the command line. You clearly have a specific definition in mind in using the term "computer techs", but I have no idea what it is. There are all kinds of technology professionals and enthusiasts who use computers and technology in a variety of ways.
Quote:
For the most part 95% of computer users have no need for classic file manager has it is too dangerous .And winows 9.x was too dangerous for computer novice.The windows vista and windows 7 GUI is built to show you where you should be working and using 95% of the time and have no need to acess the other parts.The windows vista and windows 7 GUI was built for computer novice.
Another set of nonsensical statements. The Windows file manager is an interface. It's been the same file/folder look and feel since Windows 3.11. It's no more or less dangerous today as it was then. The Windows operating system has evolved to better protect against the deletion of critical system files, but this has nothing to do with the file manager interface.
Quote:
It not a issue with computer techs has most computer techs use command prompt and the start run command to open a program.Only non computer techs click start and programs list and search for program.Most computer techs click start and type name program and open.
The search feature in the Start menu is a great example of a major improvement in the Windows interface. You again use the term "computer tech" in a way intended to divide people into some arbitrary groups.
Quote:
This is okay for computer techs that love to use command prompt and the start run command but not so good for people that like to use the GUI.
The search feature of the Start menu is not the same as a command prompt. And again, I don't know anyone who runs a command prompt and types full executable paths to launch applications.
Computer Specs
Member with 126 posts.

Experience: Advanced
08-May-2011, 07:20 PM #7
If i was to answer this question a few months ago i would have said XP hands down, however since i have had to roll out windows 7 in the workplace it is slowly growing on me.

With the exception of the windows7 horrible taskbar i prefer the win7 approach.
Member with 1,029 posts.

08-May-2011, 08:53 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorko View Post
I have Windows 7 Home Premium and have the Classic Taskbar look. Yes, It does look like Win 9X/XP. Also, the control panel displays icons like in previous versions.

I don't have any use for the aero effects. I would be happy to post screen shots if you don't believe me. I even re-enabled the quicklaunch toolbar which is disabled by default but can be reinserted back in.
This is what I mean.

http://www.thereforesystems.com/wind...-classic-mode/
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ory-icons.html

Quote:
What is the first thing you do when you open the control panel in Windows Vista? I always switch it to Classic View and most people I know do the same. Microsoft got it so right with the Classic View and I cannot understand whey they are trying to convince people to move away from it. This is what Classic View looks like in Vista.
Bold quoted from the web site.

http://www.thereforesystems.com/wp-c...9/05/image.png

Quote:
This tip is so useles :-)
The view style which you selected is not a Classic View. It a crap-column view. In classic view items are not displayed in columns.
Bold quoted from the web site.

http://www.sevenforums.com/attachmen...arge_icons.jpg

Meaning I my self and people at that web site Microsoft options do not give you the classic view http://www.thereforesystems.com/wp-c...9/05/image.png

How to make windows 7 taskbar classic /Classic Start Menu

This explains why it cannot be done http://www.sevenforums.com/customiza...tart-menu.html

With out third party add on or registory change.

I will get back to you on the other parts of the posts soon.
Computer Specs
Member with 268 posts.

08-May-2011, 10:02 PM #9
I did the same thing for the first year of using win 7 then finally accepted it and now love it. Being doing this since winNT 3.51 and sooner or later I adopt the changes and end up liking them.

Win Next (win 8) is worse (or better) I have already adopted its default views.
Computer Specs
Member with 126 posts.

08-May-2011, 11:12 PM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
I did the same thing for the first year of using win 7 then finally accepted it and now love it. Being doing this since winNT 3.51 and sooner or later I adopt the changes and end up liking them.

Win Next (win 8) is worse (or better) I have already adopted its default views.
Not completly related to post, but im curious if they are changing much with windows 8, from the few screens i have seen it looks essentially indentical.
Member with 1,029 posts.

11-May-2011, 09:36 PM #11
What do you mean?
Account Disabled with 16,918 posts.

11-May-2011, 09:58 PM #12
I have had xp vista and 7
I hated vista at first
Why?
Because it was different
I flopped back and forth alot with xp and Vista

I finally had did a full switch to Vista
Neither is bad they are just a little different.
Sort of along the line of getting a new TV and hating the remote..they do the same thing but are different..once you get used to it..the old one would now be the odd one

Summary
Be happy with 7,get used to
Enjoy the new features
That includes the task bar.

If one has many apps open you cant beat it
If you only have a couple I can understand missing the old taskbar.

In this case do not minimize your windows ,,just keep one on the top of the others and switch that way..{in other words dont go to full maximize},,leave an edge open.

I would stop fighting 7 and just take it for what it is
Different than xp...but use the differences to your advantage..that is why they are there
Computer Specs
Member with 91 posts.

Experience: beginner to intermediate
12-May-2011, 12:28 AM #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka Brett View Post
I have had xp vista and 7
I hated vista at first
Why?
Because it was different
I flopped back and forth alot with xp and Vista

I finally had did a full switch to Vista
Neither is bad they are just a little different.
Sort of along the line of getting a new TV and hating the remote..they do the same thing but are different..once you get used to it..the old one would now be the odd one

Summary
Be happy with 7,get used to
Enjoy the new features
That includes the task bar.

If one has many apps open you cant beat it
If you only have a couple I can understand missing the old taskbar.

In this case do not minimize your windows ,,just keep one on the top of the others and switch that way..{in other words dont go to full maximize},,leave an edge open.

I would stop fighting 7 and just take it for what it is
Different than xp...but use the differences to your advantage..that is why they are there
if I could understand the differences maybe I could use it to my advantage. but so far I really hate windows 7. and for clarity I only disliked windows xp. 7 really sucks. They have changed the way your control panel opens and works, and what's with the 'library' what is it why is it? it's stupid!
these are my thoughts and opinions. XP took me about two weeks to understand give or take. I've been working on windows 7 now for two months and still haven't a clue.
I have a question though. what book does anyone recommend to get as far as helping to understand and figure 7 out better? ie the missing manual for xp. is there a missing manual for windows 7? does anyone know.???
SUEOHIO   (SUE) SUEOHIO is offline SUEOHIO has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,690 posts.

12-May-2011, 01:43 PM #14
i voted that i like the xp look the best. however i have 2 computers with windows 7 professional and ive changed them to look like xp classic so i can deal with windows 7 a lot better now.
Account Disabled with 5,251 posts.

12-May-2011, 04:11 PM #15
Mondo use both every day; like both every day. Mondo very angry when Windows 7 remote desktop only display in basic theme colors. Mondo find XP much more intuitive to navigate with, though if Mondo remember, breadcrumb method is ok but better off typing in start search box to find stuff when using Windows 7. Mondo find Windows 7 very incompatible generally when it comes to audio recording and very confusing and complicated just to find speaker balance adjustment. Mondo like tab-rename function in Window 7. Mondo like one less click always in Window XP. Mondo like ice cream with chocolate syrup.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!