Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Administrator privileges in Windows 7

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-May-2011, 10:27 AM #1
Solved: Administrator privileges in Windows 7
I've searched a number of other forums, looked under Admin privileges in the search panel, checked through the other threads as far as I could, and checked references to Naturally Speaking but cannot find a solution to this problem. I'm not at all technical so will need word of one syllable answers or suggestions please.

I had a local company build me a new computer. I installed windows 7 on the blank disc with just one single user (me) who was classed as administrator. Until recently it worked fine. I installed Naturally Speaking on it and set up a profile. It worked fine from the initial session after installation but, after it had been closed, whenever I tried to restart it the program would load but any attempt to load my profile got the error message:
"The user file you have selected cannot be accessed. This could be because you do not have sufficient privileges to use it or because it is being accessed by another program."

Attempting to run the program as an administrator gets the message that it cannot be run in enhanced mode. I contacted Nuance (who make NS) and had a long correspondence with them. I might as well have talked to myself as they seemed to have no idea. All their suggestions had no effect.

After uninstalling and reinstalling a couple of times and ending up with the same result, I uninstalled it and ran a removal program from Nuance to clear every trace of it.

Just recently - to solve a problem with windows that recently appeared - I reinstalled Windows 7 using the update facility on the Win7 installation disc. This worked fine and once again I only had the one single user who had administrator status. There were no working guest or other users.

I tried Naturally speaking again with the same result. Once again I completely removed it from the system. I then set up a new user with Administrator privileges. Going into that user I installed NS again. This time it worked fine. I can start it from that user and it works well. If I go to the first user screen there is also an icon for Naturally Speaking but once again, if I start it I can't load my profile with the error message above.

It's not particularly convenient if I have to switch users to use NS. It all seems to be to do with Win 7 Administrator status. Can anyone suggest a way that the original Administrator (me) can get the same administrator privileges as the second user seems to have under his administrator status. It seems a ridiculous situation that one user can use it while the other can't.

Sorry to have rambled on but I was trying to give as complete a picture as possible. I really would appreciate any help or advice you can give.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium , Service Pack 1, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 530 @ 2.93GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 2
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 3070 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 953766 MB, Free - 809417 MB; F: Total - 1430796 MB, Free - 657279 MB; H: Total - 305242 MB, Free - 187323 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P7H57D-V EVO, Rev 1.xx, MB-1234567890
Antivirus: ESET Smart Security 4.2, Updated and Enabled
Member with 60 posts.

13-May-2011, 12:57 PM #2
In my opinion the culprit is the application. Good thinking on setting up the second user. You could actually delete the original user and use the second one. As far as the cause and how to fix it on the original user, it will take some tinkering around and looking through logs.

Before installing the program did you run all the windows updates first? Then after you install NS install any patches on the application, before you even start it.

"The user file you have selected cannot be accessed. This could be because you do not have sufficient privileges to use it or because it is being accessed by another program"

This error tells me that NS has some sort of process already running or it creates a buffer somewhere on a System Folder.
Computer Specs
Member with 5 posts.

14-May-2011, 04:05 AM #3
Many thanks for the reply, mvirata.

When I uninstalled the original installation of NS I used the uninstall feature under Control Panel and then ran a removal program from Nuance that they said would remove every element of the old installation. Before I tried installing it again I had, in effect, reinstalled Windows 7 (using the update option) and installed all of the updates (101 in total) just before installing Naturally Speaking. So I should have had a pretty clean version of Windows 7; NS was also fully up to date.

After this second installation failed to work I uninstalled it again using both control panel and the removal program. I then installed it on user 2, which I created just for this. After I'd done that, I had an icon on the desktop for user 2 but the same icon had appeared on the desktop of user 1. So there was only the one NS installed, and only one user profile for NS, but while it works under user 2 it doesn't under user 1.

The thing that baffles me is why it works under user 2 but not user 1, though both are supposed to be administrator accounts. If NS has some sort of process already running under user 1, why is there not the same problem under user 2?

My username was chosen with some accuracy as I'm very limited in my technical knowledge. I don't understand a lot of the things about users and administrators and I'm afraid my ignorance is going to become very evident when I say I'm worried about deleting the original user. There are far fewer icons on desktop 2 and if I look in the files for that user there are none of the thousands of My Document and other data files I have under user 1. Similarly, if I run iTunes from desktop 2 it contains none of the 6,000 music files I have under user 1. As you might guess, the thought of losing all these if I deleted the user is pretty alarming. There are a lot of programs under user 1 that are not available under user 2. I was very surprised to find I had to install another Chrome to have it on user 2. I would have thought users would have been able to share a lot of these programs without having to install a second version on the second user.

What you say though does make me wonder if there is any way to change the privileges on user 1 so they are the same as for user 2?

Apologies for being so timid but it's difficult when you don't understand the workings of Windows. The thought of losing many years of work (this is about my sixth desktop computer) is very scary, notwithstanding that I think I'm pretty well backed up.

I really do appreciate the fact you've taken the time to respond. People like me are dependent on the generosity of such as you in these matters!
Member with 60 posts.

16-May-2011, 09:11 AM #4
When you are creating multiple users they actually called "profiles"

There are times when a profile gets corrupted and you can spend days or weeks trying to fix an issue only to realize it can be corrected by creating a second profile. In Win7 they are stored here:

C:\Users

In this folder you will see all of the different profiles that you created. Each profile is personalized and different things are stored on the profile. For example in User 1 you have a own set of files and bookmarks, and even the installation of Chrome. If you named your user User1 then the profile created would be c:\users\user1. If you had a User2 then you would also see a c:\users\user2.

If you wanted to migrate User1 into User 2 you would copy the files you need over in the c:\Users. As an example I want to copy my music and documents from User 1 to User 2.

I go into c:\users\user1 > select My Documents and My Music and then copy all of the information to c:\users\user2.

I do not advise just copying c:\users\user1 folder and copy it into c:\users\user2 folder because if there is some sort of corrupted file you could copy it over with you. You want to copy just the data over.

The reason why I say COPY and not MOVE is because you want to ensure that User2 is working before you delete the files in USER1. The last thing you want to do is move data over and things don't work. To be safe you could leave User1 alone but then you are wasting a lot of disk space.

Also be advised setting up a second profile will mean re-setting up all applications again also. It would be the same process if you bought a new computer. For example, if you had iTunes set up to your My Music folder on User1 it would need to be set it up again in User2. Same thing with your bookmarks and anything else.

Hopefully you have a better understanding on the process, depending on how you feel you may want to try it. But if it's too much then stick to what you are comfortable with.

Also to answer your question on privileges make sure they are both administrator. I am sure that is how you set them up but if they are both admin then you should be fine. For whatever the reason the NS software might be buffering some temp files in your user1 profile which causes that error. Good job in finding a workaround though.
Computer Specs
Member with 5 posts.

16-May-2011, 11:14 AM #5
Many thanks for this extremely helpful reply. I'm booked up most of this week so it'll take a while until I can sit down and absorb all you've said and try putting it into practice, but hopefully I'll be able to do something by next weekend.

Once again, many thanks.
Computer Specs
Member with 5 posts.

18-May-2011, 05:16 AM #6
Hi Mvirata
On re-reading your last post I suddenly wondered what would happen if I switched the UAC off. I'm not sure what triggered the thought, but your explanation made me wonder if that could be part of the cause of the problem, especially as I had taken all the actions you mentioned in your first post, prior to this latest attempt and after the last time I tried to install NS.

Also, knowing this was an easily reversible action I wasn't so constrained in trying it out. I had in fact tried it way back when I was talking to Nuance but it hadn't worked. As I've said, since then I'd reinstalled Windows 7, installed the service pack and all other updates and taken several other 'clean up' actions.

Well, it's worked! Without the UAC NS works on both users. I'm so pleased because, although it works well on my laptop, it works far better on my much better spec desktop. I've dictated a four page document and it only had six misheard segments. That's brilliant considering it's had little time to learn my diction etc..

I can't thank you enough for the help. I'd have never got the idea without your explanations and suggestions.

Regards
Technobaffled John
Member with 60 posts.

18-May-2011, 10:11 AM #7
I think you have to give yourself much more credit because you sound like a budding tech. Troubleshooting is an art and sometimes a little bit if knowledge pushes your mind into trying things out and seeing how they work.

In its basic form UAC is a security component. If you used windows XP then you know when your an admin you can install anything at will. Through the years this was an open door for malware and viruses. When Vista came out UAC gave you the extra protection to prevent unwanted programs from installing. It does this by prompting you each time a program is run.

Initially I turned it off because I was accustomed to being and XP user. But now I tend to leave it on because that extra security is nice to have. Depending on the IT pro you talk you, it's debatable where or not it matters. Some say it makes no difference and some say you need it. I have seen workstations that still get viruses or malware with it on so it isn't the greatest security measure. In my opinion it is minimal but I do leave it on.

If security is a bigger deal you probably want to get zone alarm or something similar. Personal firewalls can be complicated if your not just a tiny bit saavy but that is a conversation for another thread and I'm certainly not a security expert.

One thing you could try is turning the UAC back on and seeing if it works.
Computer Specs
Member with 5 posts.

18-May-2011, 11:51 AM #8
Thanks for the kind words. I will try switching UAC back on some time and seeing if the problem returns. I actually find it a real pain as on my main user it queries everything, including iTunes. It gets a bit tedious after a while, so I'm quite pleased to be rid of it for a while.

I'm fairly confident in leaving it off as I've got fairly comprehensive security on my systems with ESET, Mamutu, Malwarebytes, and WinPatrol running constantly.

Once again, thanks,
Technobaffled John
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
admin, naturallyspeaking, privileges, uac

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!