Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Parity Check 2 problem!

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-May-2011, 01:16 PM #1
Unhappy Parity Check 2 problem!
Hey Guys I'm new here and I'm hoping you can help with my problem.

I'm running an older HP Compaq SFF desktop, 2.7ghz Dual Core HT, 2gb ram with standard onboard 128mb intel graphics chipset. It has Windows 7 installed.

The other day it was running fine, I shut it down in the evening and when I came to start it up the next day I got the "Windows failed to start" message with the option to try starting normally or run startup repair.

I tried starting normally and after the windows logo came up it immediately restarted and gave me a black screen with the message "Parity Check 2". I tried again and ran startup repair, after checking the discs I get the message that startup repair has failed and when I click ok the machine again restarts and passes up the "Parity Check 2" message.

After doing a little reading I got the idea that it may be a ram memory issue, I checked my bios and it is still registering the full 2048mb installed memory and I ran windows memory diagnostics and this does not show any errors.

Can anybody point me in the direction of what might be wrong here? Would I be better posting this in the hardware section, as yet I'm not sure whether it's a hardware problem or windows failure.

Any help much appreciated.

Regards
Lance1   (Lance) Lance1 is offline Lance1 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 5,221 posts.

22-May-2011, 06:16 PM #2
Welcome to TSG!

That particular error can also point to a resource problem. Being that you performed a windows memory diagnostic and came up clean I would point in that direction. Do you have any 3rd party cards in any PCI slots? If you do, pull the card and boot the system and see if the problem remains. If the problem does remains, change the ECC/parity BIOS setting to straight parity and try to reboot. If the parity error goes away, and returns when ECC is re-enabled, the chances are you have false parity memory in your PC. The only good solution would be to replace the memory.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

02-Jun-2011, 01:14 PM #3
Hey there Lance1, thanks for the suggestions. Sorry it took me so long to reply but I didn't have a chance to look at the machine until today. I tried all of your suggestions with no success and was getting mentally prepared to fork out for new memory when I decided to try a windows reinstall as a last gasp cash saving fix and lo and behold it worked! Everything I had read including your post suggested that this was a hardware issue but a full win7 reinstall seems to have done the trick.

I'm happy that it's fixed but I'm still baffled as to what the problem might have been (could it have been a virus?) If anybody has any ideas as to what caused this annoying issue I'd really like to hear your thoughts
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 26 posts.

02-Jun-2011, 08:09 PM #4
sometimes it has nothing to do with the hardware itself. this error as i myself had experienced it is caused by inappropriate driver for your hardware most likely sound or video. to try and recover your system i suggest run your windows in safe mode and uninstall the suspected hardware driver manually.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!