Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 8 Windows 8
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Ran Windows 8 'Refresh' and lost all my files

(!)

Member with 99 posts.

03-Mar-2012, 05:30 PM #1
Ran Windows 8 'Refresh' and lost all my files
I'm in a real mess at the moment, I've lost some important word documents after I did a Windows 8 refresh.

The documents I need were on my desktop in folders and what's strange is the folders are still there but the files inside them aren't.

I've tried 'Recuva' and I've got like 3 word documents back but the it says the rest are unrecoverable and have been overwritten. I've been trying other programs but not luck so far.

I know it's a long shot but is there any possible way to recover these word documents? It's work I can't replicate again and I'm screwed if I can't get it back.

Thanks.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

03-Mar-2012, 05:39 PM #2
Windows 8 isn't even in beta yet. It should not be running on your production system as your primary operating system, and you definitely shouldn't be saving critical files you don't make backups of.

You've already tried one of the best recovery tools. Your other option is a professional data recovery company. It will cost several hundred dollars with no guarantee of success.
Member with 99 posts.

03-Mar-2012, 05:42 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleHelix View Post
Windows 8 isn't even in beta yet. It should not be running on your production system as your primary operating system, and you definitely shouldn't be saving critical files you don't make backups of.

You've already tried one of the best recovery tools. Your other option is a professional data recovery company. It will cost several hundred dollars with no guarantee of success.
I know, I know. That was the first mistake I made. I didn't realise it would replace my operating system, I thought I was just downloading a preview. Microsoft don't make it very clear.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 67,293 posts.

03-Mar-2012, 05:44 PM #4
Stop using the hard drive and start contacting some data recovery firms.

I don't understand how you can lose important files when trying out a new feature in beta (customer preview) software. By definition an "important" file is one you have at least two copies of. And that, of course, would mean at least two copies that cannot be touched by software that is under test.

03-Mar-2012, 05:48 PM #5
They actually do make it very clear.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/download

"Important: If you decide to go back to your previous operating system, you'll need to reinstall it from the recovery or installation media that came with your PC, which is typically DVD media. If you don’t have recovery media, you might be able to create it from a recovery partition on your PC using software provided by your PC manufacturer. Check the support section of your PC manufacturer’s website for more information. After you install Windows 8, you won’t be able to use the recovery partition on your PC to go back to your previous version of Windows."
Member with 99 posts.

03-Mar-2012, 06:02 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleHelix View Post
They actually do make it very clear.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/download

"Important: If you decide to go back to your previous operating system, you'll need to reinstall it from the recovery or installation media that came with your PC, which is typically DVD media. If you don’t have recovery media, you might be able to create it from a recovery partition on your PC using software provided by your PC manufacturer. Check the support section of your PC manufacturer’s website for more information. After you install Windows 8, you won’t be able to use the recovery partition on your PC to go back to your previous version of Windows."
I didn't see that when I downloaded it. It's besides the point anyway, I didn't expect this to happen. My files were perfectly fine until I ran the refresh feature, which prides itself on leaving your files untouched.

The refresh feature says it's speeds your computer up if it's running slow, so I thought I'd give it a go, expecting a quick boost. Next thing I know it's running for 45 minutes and what it finishes I lose all my files and programs.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

03-Mar-2012, 06:05 PM #7
It's a preview operating system. It should be expected that processes and programs don't function correctly. It's not intended to be used as a production operating system.

If you want to recover the data, stop using the computer, and get ready to write a big check. That's your only option at this point.
Member with 2 posts.

04-Mar-2012, 01:47 AM #8
Wow I'm starting to have second thoughts about asking my question on this forum. I'm apparently just going to get a bunch of replies telling me what an idiot I am.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 1,657 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-Mar-2012, 09:18 AM #9
There is an outside possibility. First, presumably you had this data on another OSD+ Did you overwrite than with your new install? If so, you may have a folder sitting in you new installation, called win.old. It can be hit and miss, but, assuming it is there, have a look at this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933168
Computer Specs
Moderator with 67,293 posts.

04-Mar-2012, 10:07 AM #10
AdamLP, you hadn't even posted in this thread, and in your own thread you are getting advice/help. If anybody does post something inappropriate, such as your above post, just Report it and a moderator or administrator will look into it and take appropriate action.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 59,467 posts.

04-Mar-2012, 11:14 AM #11
Jbrown832:

There are probably thousands like you who are kicking themselves in the butt right now for doing the same thing.

And don't believe everything you read about how to speed up a computer.

---------------------------------------------------------
Member with 14 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Mar-2012, 02:33 PM #12
@JBrown,

There is a freeware called DiskDigger that will recover your documents...

http://diskdigger.org/

I have used this program in the past and it is awesome. I even wrote a report/presentation on it when I was in college at NJIT for a security course . I hope this helps.... good luck!
Member with 2 posts.

09-Apr-2012, 11:26 AM #13
if you still have problems with recovering data, please try this tool

http://www.findandmount.com/

i had the same problem but with this tool at least you can recover all your data from lost partitions.

hope it helps

cheers!
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 59,467 posts.

09-Apr-2012, 11:40 AM #14
Jbrown832 hasn't replied back here in over a month, so I doubt if he's still monitoring this thread.

---------------------------------------------------------
Member with 2 posts.

09-Apr-2012, 11:48 AM #15
no problem,
maybe it will help someone else....

i had XP installed and wanted to have dualboot with windows8.
Destroyed lots of things in XP windows, still trying to fix it somehow.....
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!