Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 8 Windows 8
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Asus eee PC not connecting to wifi and screen resolution too low!

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 88 posts.

10-Jul-2012, 11:06 AM #1
Question Asus eee PC not connecting to wifi and screen resolution too low!
Ok there are two problems with the release preview of Windows 8.

The first and most important is it can't connect to wifi, I am thinking a driver issue because I am dual booting with a linux distro and it connects fine. It finds my router fine and I type in the key and it says can not connect. Ethernet works fine and I did updates through ethernet but still no wifi. I tried installing drivers that came on a disk for XP but they didn't work

Also a problem that isn't bothering me that much, the screen resolution is 1024x600 which it needs to be a minimum of 1024x768 so some applications don't work, chrome and windows explorer work good so I am not desperate for a fix.
I have heard there is a fix by installing a different driver but I think that only worked on the customer preview.

And finally will Windows fix the screen resolution problem? I have only been using windows 8 for a few hours but it is really nice on my under powered netbook, smoother than XP. If they do I will put a touch screen in it and turn it into a awesome piece of kit.

Thanks
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,940 posts.

10-Jul-2012, 01:42 PM #2
The odds that an XP wireless driver will work with Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8 is about zero (maybe less). If Windows 8 did not install one then try the latest Windows 7 driver.

Quote:
And finally will Windows fix the screen resolution problem?
No; that's a function of your screen, display card and driver.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,477 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
10-Jul-2012, 08:41 PM #3
Check Asus and see if there is a Win 7 WIreless Driver or possible Win 8 Beta Driver for the Wireless
Computer Specs
Member with 772 posts.

Experience: Advanced
11-Jul-2012, 06:10 PM #4
I'm using Windows 8 Release Preview on an Asus N10E-A1 netbook, which is quite similar to your netbook.
I was fortunate that Windows 8 installed the proper Artheros network adapter drivers and Intel video drivers.

There is a registry setting that will allow the 1024x768 resolution.
The apps work in 1024x768, but I don't really like how everything looks.

Search the registry for "Display1_DownScalingSupported" and change the value from 0 to 1.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!