Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 8 Windows 8
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Win8 upgrades

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 2,912 posts.

Experience: Seasoned Professional
04-Aug-2012, 08:39 PM #1
Win8 upgrades
I have Win8 Consumer Preview on my machine now, as an "upgrade" from Win7, but would like to upgrade to the "Release Preview" version, to check out the Windows Store and some other things. I checked MS's website, but it says that I can't "save" anything from upgrading, like I was able to from the Win7 to Win8 CP upgrade.

I've already deleted the "backup" files that the upgrade created (Windows.old and ~indows.bt~ folders), so I can't revert back to that, then do another "Win7 to Win8" upgrade with the more recent version.

If I set up a dual-boot, I would still have to reinstall all my applications. My data is on a different drive, so I'm not concerned about that, just the applications, app settings, and the OS itself.

Any idea how to do this upgrade without losing anything, or am I screwed?
Computer Specs
Member with 5,855 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Aug-2012, 01:42 PM #2
Backup your data to an external source, clean install the OS.

Why install a beta OS on your main computer? When doing so, be prepared to start from scratch.
Hence, my Win8 is installed on a backup notebook as an early warning device for my clients to see.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,912 posts.

06-Aug-2012, 01:53 PM #3
I have several other "main" computers, so installing a beta on one of them isn't a big deal. I don't have any data on the local drive, other than files I have downloaded, which is an easy thing to back up.

I'm really only worried about applications. I have quite a few of them, and am just dreading having to reinstall them all. Was hoping there was a quick way to do that without having to resort to a full reinstall from scratch, but it's looking like I will be installing that way anyway.

If I can figure out how to turn on the virtualization hardware on this computer, I will just convert this Win8 over to a VM, then install Linux on it instead. I have Linux on another box, and aside from not being compatible with my iTunes/iPhone, I like it better than windows.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

06-Aug-2012, 02:15 PM #4
Beta and preview releases aren't intended to be upgraded to or from anything. The whole point is to install and run them on test or secondary hardware, not a primary use system.

I don't now what you mean by "turn on the virtualization hardware" or why you'd install Linux to install Windows 8. You install virtualzation software on your host OS and then install whatever you want on a guest system.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,912 posts.

07-Aug-2012, 12:53 AM #5
Some machines have a BIOS setting that either allows or disables the OS to allow virtual machines to be hosted on the main OS.

Hyper-V and VMWare (in my experience, just recently) require this, however VirtualBox does not.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,855 posts.

Experience: Advanced
10-Aug-2012, 04:17 PM #6
You can use ninite.com to do quick and simple re-install of most apps. That is what I used to quickly throw on some programs onto Windows 8.

Keep in mind.. Win8-RP 8440 is not RTM... the AERO UI looks quite nice... but RTM version is far more uglier, they removed AERO out all together and metro-lized the desktop. Its amazing that MS didn't do an RC version to get input... my guess, MS doesn't want to hear it.

With luck, MS will implode because of this snafu.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,912 posts.

17-Aug-2012, 01:55 AM #7
I was referring to applications I use for work, which are more commercial in nature, not things like AV, anti-spyware, etc... but I have used that ninite site before to update customer's machines quickly, and to ensure they don't "accidentally" install the apps with all the spyware they come with (toolbars, etc...)
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!