Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 8 Windows 8
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Storage Pool Email Action Center Notifications

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 116 posts.

Experience: Computer Diagnostic Genius
11-Aug-2012, 11:14 AM #1
Storage Pool Email Action Center Notifications
Hi all,

I have been looking at building a NAS for my home and I have noticed that Windows 8 now contains a pretty decent system for protecting my drives (I'm talking about the Storage Spaces feature).

I know we have had Raid 5 support in the past but I very much like the idea of being able to grow the "Storage Pool" by replacing the drives with larger ones when they die and eventually being able to make use of the extra space.

Once of the most important things to me is HOW the user get notified when there is an error on the array (Storage Pool). I have been playing with yanking out drives while writing data and the scary thing is that the system doesn't actually alert you anything is wrong except for the tiny 'action center' flag appearing in the lower right hand corner of the screen. The other kinda annoying thing is that this flag doesn't show anywhere on the Start Screen, only on desktop mode.

LASTLY, another scary thing is that even if you do notice that a message has appeared in the action center, you are told that the drive missing or failing ISN'T a high importance issue!!! Its a general maintenance message ??

So my question is, does anybody know a better way to get these action center messages? I googled for email notifications from the action center but found nothing. I suspect this is because the action center has been a fairly useless feature of Windows until now.

Or alternatively, can anybody recommend a better Storage pool system with email notifications?. I have tried lots but I would be interested in hearing what others have to say.

Thanks all.
Don't drink and drive

Last edited by TerryNet; 11-Aug-2012 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: delete profanity
Computer Specs
Member with 116 posts.

11-Aug-2012, 01:46 PM #2
What profanity was in my post??????????
Computer Specs
Member with 116 posts.

17-Aug-2012, 01:11 PM #3
Bumps are probably not allowed here..
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,292 posts.

17-Aug-2012, 04:41 PM #4
Bumps are good. Best to do them after a day or two of no replies.
Computer Specs
Member with 116 posts.

18-Aug-2012, 12:35 AM #5
Thanks bud. Didn't want a repeat of my Windows Text File incident

I think the main issue with this Hard Drive issue is the the windows notification area has never really displayed anything useful up until now. I wonder how hard it would be to write a simple notifier for windows.. this has gots me thinking
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!