Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 8 Windows 8
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Problems connecting to the internet

(!)

Member with 7 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Aug-2012, 04:11 PM #1
Problems connecting to the internet
Hi

I'm trying to get to grips with Windows 8 and I have installed Windows 8 64bit Preview on my spare machine on a separate partition from the Windows 7 64bit that is currently on this machine.

The Windows 7 64bit works perfectly, but when I boot to the Windows 8 64bit system I am unable to get access to the Internet or the HOMEGROUP on my main machine. The Windows 8 64bit system is "seeing" my connection but when I enter the Network Security Key (which works on the Windows 7 64bit system) I repeatedly get "The Network Security Key is not correct. Please try again"

I have updated the BIOS to the latest available from DELL (June 2011) and I have tried to upgrade an existing Windows 7 installation, but that doesn't work as you only seem to be able to install from a DVD boot. The router is a D-Link 615 and the driver appears to be April 2012 and was found by the Windows 8 installation disk.

P.S. Virgin Cable connection on the main machine

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8 Release Preview, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7400 @ 2.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 4094 Mb
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 3450 (Engineering Sample - WDDM v1.1), 256 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 199996 MB, Free - 159122 MB; D: Total - 276940 MB, Free - 231134 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0P301D
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

Last edited by glacier22; 13-Aug-2012 at 04:17 PM..
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,240 posts.

14-Aug-2012, 12:39 PM #2
What encryption are you using?

Disable encryption on the router and try to connect that way. If successful then try with WPA-PSK encryption.
Member with 7 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-Aug-2012, 04:17 AM #3
Hi

Thanks for the suggestion

The only way I can get this to work is to reboot the D-Link dir615 Router, and the Cable Modem.
The I get a connection.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,240 posts.

17-Aug-2012, 08:24 AM #4
Strange that the modem needs to be rebooted.

Make sure you have the latest firmware for the router; then reset it to factory defaults and reconfigure it.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!