Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 8 Windows 8
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

What happens when the windows 8 consumer preview expires?

(!)

Member with 51 posts.

Experience: Beginner
22-Sep-2012, 01:45 AM #1
What happens when the windows 8 consumer preview expires?
My brother installed the consumer preview on my laptop and i am wondering what happens when it expires. Will it just go back to windows 7? Also is there any way for me to downgrade to windows 7 in the meantime, because i dont care much for windows 8. Also i dont have the windows 7 install disk as the software was pre-installed on my laptop.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 67,247 posts.

22-Sep-2012, 08:33 AM #2
Because we can still install the Windows 8 Release Preview few people are concerned about the Consumer Preview expiring. I don't know exactly what will happen when either expires; when similar temporary releases of Windows 7 expired they did not completely stop working, but progressively got worse (black background, warning popups, automatic shut downs, etc.) to motivate users to stop using them.

Have you checked to see if Microsoft has posted anything about the Consumer (or Release) Preview end of life?

If you did not make a set of Recovery (or "Restore") DVDs (or CDs) when you still had access to the Recovery Partition you may still be able to buy a set from the PC manufacturer.

27-Sep-2012, 01:31 PM #3
No going back to Windows 7 unless you clean install. There is no upgrade path from the preview to the full version.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!