Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 8 Windows 8
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

About reinstall and partition Windows 8.

(!)

flortrax   (Kim) flortrax is offline flortrax has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 7 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
23-Nov-2012, 10:23 AM #1
Exclamation About reinstall and partition Windows 8.
Hi.

Im new here so i do not realy know where to post this.
I am thinking about reinstall my OS, but i can't find anywhere about what happens to my partition after it.

I dont want to reinstall every single game on that partition, its 251GB of games.

I have all my games installd on the other HD ( E: ), and i am searching if my games will run again after reinstalling C: OS.
And i also wondring if not if its a way to add them to the registry again.

I am doing this to day, so would be happy With some help

Someone here who know Things about this?
I realy need to reinstall

Hope this is the right spot.

PS: I have nothing in raid.

Thx
Computer Specs
Member with 3,732 posts.

23-Nov-2012, 10:25 AM #2
Why are you needing to reinstall?
Computer Specs
Member with 7 posts.

23-Nov-2012, 10:26 AM #3
Reson is that i have messd up my system With registry cleaners. I get a lots of error in my event program. and its getting a bit slow by that. So that why i am wondring if i still can play my games after reinstall
Computer Specs
Member with 7 posts.

23-Nov-2012, 10:52 AM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
Why are you needing to reinstall?

You dont have a Clue? realy need some help on this case
Computer Specs
Member with 3,732 posts.

23-Nov-2012, 11:25 AM #5
There is Windows Refresh, but that is a technique that needs to be planned and prepared before it's needed. If you're using Windows 8 Pro Upgrade, there doesn't seem to be a route for a repair/reinstall; at least, I haven't seen any references to such, other than that the upgrade won't "upgrade" over an existing Windows 8 installation for the few who have tried it.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,618 posts.

23-Nov-2012, 01:17 PM #6
You can try an "upgrade" install of Windows 8 over itself. You could do this in Vista and Windows 7. When it works your data and all or most of your installed programs are preserved. But, as bbearren just posted, apparently the discounted price version of Windows 8 cannot be used for this.
Member with 3,732 posts.

23-Nov-2012, 02:27 PM #7
I just tried again to do an in-place-upgrade, which in Windows 7 would rebuild Windows and keep installed programs, settings and personal files. I have Windows 8 installed on a 60GB partition, and the programs that I have installed are on a separate partition. When I start setup from within Windows, I get through the initial couple of screens, including my Product Key (which is accepted), and then the next screen offers the options of keeping personal files, or keeping nothing. I don't get the option to keep any apps. Personal files are only those files in the Documents folder.

I backed out of the in-place-upgrade. It seems Windows 8 installation routine only wants to be concerned with a single hard drive/partition. You can try the in-place-upgrade, and see if you are given the option of saving your apps, but if you have them installed on another partition, you may get the same slim options that I got. It's simple enough to back out of the installation routine. I didn't proceed with the install, so I don't really know if I would have hit another wall further in.
Computer Specs
Member with 7 posts.

24-Nov-2012, 12:00 AM #8
Quote:
I just tried again to do an in-place-upgrade, which in Windows 7 would rebuild Windows and keep installed programs, settings and personal files. I have Windows 8 installed on a 60GB partition, and the programs that I have installed are on a separate partition. When I start setup from within Windows, I get through the initial couple of screens, including my Product Key (which is accepted), and then the next screen offers the options of keeping personal files, or keeping nothing. I don't get the option to keep any apps. Personal files are only those files in the Documents folder.

I backed out of the in-place-upgrade. It seems Windows 8 installation routine only wants to be concerned with a single hard drive/partition. You can try the in-place-upgrade, and see if you are given the option of saving your apps, but if you have them installed on another partition, you may get the same slim options that I got. It's simple enough to back out of the installation routine. I didn't proceed with the install, so I don't really know if I would have hit another wall further in.

I see what you meen, but what i just whant to know is that i have partition With all my games and Clients on.
Like Steam, org. for mass effect, i have AC III, Black ops II and World of Warcraft. I do not have apps on it, they are on C:.

So the only thing i want to know is do i need to reinstall all of that when i also reinstall my OS? Or can i play as i did befor a reinstall, but i will also try to Upgrade over the Upgrade.

Thank you.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,732 posts.

24-Nov-2012, 09:11 AM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by flortrax View Post
So the only thing i want to know is do i need to reinstall all of that when i also reinstall my OS? Or can i play as i did befor a reinstall, but i will also try to Upgrade over the Upgrade.

Thank you.
You will just have to try it and see what is retained. Those locations are referenced in the registry, and as such it's hard to say if those registry entries will be retained in a repair/reinstall. You may be able to reestablish those by resetting your preferences in each of your games, rather than having to reinstall every game, but there is no way to really tell without actually going through with the repair/reinstall.

All that in mind, if you do a repair/reinstall, immediately after getting all your settings reestablished would be a great time to look into starting an imaging regimen so that in the future you will be able to simply restore a known good image, with the knowledge that you will be able to recover everything just as you want it.

I would also discourage you from using any registry cleaner at any time for any reason. You are now well aware of the risks involved.
Computer Specs
Member with 7 posts.

24-Nov-2012, 09:32 AM #10
Quote:
You may be able to reestablish those by resetting your preferences in each of your games

Thank you for the help. Can you tell me more about what you meen With that? Never done that before. By doing that, will the game entri to the registry again then? Dont want to reinstall all games again, done that before and is a pain.

Thanks for all the help, this is staring to help.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,732 posts.

24-Nov-2012, 09:33 AM #11
A related message to SSD users:
Today's SSD's are smallish compared to the massive spinners that are available, and many SSD users are opting to install the OS and Users folders and some Programs/Apps on their SSD, and installing the remainder of their Programs/Apps/Clients and Data on their big spinner(s).

Bear in mind that Windows (both Windows 7 and Windows 8 - probably Vista as well) is specifically limited in its options for a repair/reinstall. The installation routine will in general only reference the OS drive/partition. Registry entries that reference a separate drive/partition may or may not be retained; there is no cut-and-dried guarantee that you will not be looking at reinstalling many, if not all, your collection of Programs/Apps, or at the least going through each and reestablishing your preferences and storage locations.

For those of us with split installations (two or more drives/partitions), drive imaging is the most logical and forgiving method of backup to enable recovery from catastrophic failure, whether it is software or hardware related. There are many free imaging solutions available, and paid solutions which usually add more options and/or conveniences. There are many long-time users of these solutions here on these forums and others, so it is easy to get a leg up on how to setup and use drive imaging in a reliable manner.

While Windows of late has built-in imaging capabilities, there is more flexibility and in most cases reliability available in third-party solutions. I recommend investigating the many options available and establishing a regimen of drive imaging that is reliable and yet efficient and simple enough that you won't be discouraged from using it frequently.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,732 posts.

24-Nov-2012, 09:49 AM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by flortrax View Post
Thank you for the help. Can you tell me more about what you meen With that? Never done that before. By doing that, will the game entri to the registry again then? Dont want to reinstall all games again, done that before and is a pain.

Thanks for all the help, this is staring to help.
If your gaming programs are installed on C:, and your saved games are located on another drive/partition, once you complete the repair/reinstall, you will probably need to start each game, one at a time, and go to options/preferences to reestablish the storage location to your other drive/partition where they have been previously stored. For some games, these preferences are stored in the game's folder hierarchy in the game's main folder in Program Files. For others, these preferences are referenced in the registry.

In most cases reestablishing these locations will be sufficient. There may be some games/apps that only offer the option of such splitting during the initial installation. You will have to discover this on a case-by-case basis. Make whatever changes you are allowed in the game UI, then actually open the game to play and see if you can open a saved game. In the cases where you can't open a saved game, you'll most likely have to reinstall the game in order to properly set your preferences. Once you do that, any games you had saved previously should be available simply due to their file suffix and location.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!