Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 8 Windows 8
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Office 2010 Academic and Windows 8

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-Jan-2013, 06:46 PM #1
Unhappy Office 2010 Academic and Windows 8
I attempted to install Microsoft Office 2010 Academic version from an external drive. I put in the product key, it loaded (installed?), then I restarted per instruction. When it rebooted, it locked the keyboard and I couldn't get past the startscreen to sign in. Now, it's froze. I tried removing the battery and reinserting it and hitting F2, but it would not go to the setup screen. Help.

I am not currently using the computer with the problem.

OHMEMY
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 10,594 posts.

Experience: Beginner
22-Jan-2013, 09:57 PM #2
Where did you get this "Academic version"?

The provider of the Academic version is to provide all support to you on this copy of Office.
Computer Specs
Member with 4 posts.

23-Jan-2013, 02:42 PM #3
Late reply
DaveA,

I'm sorry it took so long to get back to you.

I got the copy of Office Academic from a textbook for one of my courses at college.

ohmemy
Computer Specs

23-Jan-2013, 03:45 PM #4
Then contact the provider of this textbook and see what they have to say.

Most of these are to be installed on only one machine.

This copy that that you used, did you copy it from the CD that was with the textbook?
If so, then you may need to use the CD this time also.
Computer Specs
Member with 4 posts.

23-Jan-2013, 07:24 PM #5
Office Academic
DaveA

The textbook is actually the Office 2010 manual "New Perspectives" and is published by Cengage. I didn't copy the CD. It came with the text. (as a 180 day "trial". This is the same way that I got Quickbooks that I am using for school. I have installed it (and Office 2010) on my computer using XP Pro and have had no problems. It seems to me that the problem is getting to the sign in page after the reboot. If the program locked the keyboard, I can't do this.

ohmemy
Computer Specs

23-Jan-2013, 10:48 PM #6
Looks like to me that it is one machine install.

What did you use to install it on the XP machine?

I think you need to contact "Cengage" and see what they can do for you, as they are the license issuing agent!
Computer Specs
Member with 4 posts.

24-Jan-2013, 09:08 AM #7
Office Academic
My Laptop is a Dell with XP Pro. I got a Student deal at the Daytona State website and installed it online rather than from a CD.

I will contact Cengage and also the school help desk to see what they can offer.

I have asked a local person who has moderate knowledge of computers and they were stumped.

Is it possible that they program downloaded to my Temporary folder and locked the keyboard and touchpad after the reboot to prevent interfering with the installation? If so, is there any way around that. It is stuck on the start page (before the sign in page and the cursor does not load. I tried hooking in a mouse to no avail. I thought also of hooking in an external keyboard. I haven't tried shortcut keys yet, either.

ohmemy
Computer Specs
Moderator with 63,994 posts.

24-Jan-2013, 09:49 AM #8
I think that whether or not the Office is a legit install for this system has nothing to do with the current problem. No install is going to lock the keyboard unless it is horribly corrupted or contains sadistic malware.

If I understand your first post you now cannot even enter the BIOS (Setup) by tapping the F2 on power on. I can only assume that F2 is the proper key for your PC. If you are not positive of that try F8, which should get you to a Windows boot menu. If you are using the laptop's keyboard or a wireless one try a USB one. If using a USB keyboard try a different one or try the keyboard on a different computer.

EDIT: forgot this was Windows 8. Instead of F8 may need to use Shift + F8.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!