Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 8 Windows 8
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Window Defender is turned off

(!)

Member with 2 posts.

25-Jan-2013, 11:27 PM #1
Window Defender is turned off
In windows 8 I got this message "Windows Defender has been turned off and isn't monitoring your computer." I downloaded Windows Security Essentials and now know I shouldn't have done so.... how can I get this problem fixed...
Member with 2 posts.

26-Jan-2013, 12:10 AM #2
Windows 8 Window Defender is turned off
Windows 8---- I got this message "Windows Defender has been turned off and isn't monitoring your computer."
I did have a virus and removed it. It was recommended that I was to download the Window Defender offline which I did, but now I have this other problem where I can't get the windows defender to work proper.
I downloaded Windows Security Essentials and now know I shouldn't have done so.... how can I get this problem fixed...
Member with 11,195 posts.

26-Jan-2013, 01:29 AM #3
wse does not work in win8 defender is the win8 version of wse

the virus has probably changed the windows settings

run this

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,707 posts.

26-Jan-2013, 10:46 AM #4
The Windows 8 Windows Defender is Microsoft Security Essentials renamed. I would first uninstall MSE and see if Windows Defender comes back to life.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,707 posts.

26-Jan-2013, 11:02 AM #5
I've merged your threads here. Please do not start multiple threads on the same topic.
Member with 2,677 posts.

28-Jan-2013, 02:28 PM #6
I had this problem when Norton expired. I removed all Norton products, ran Ccleaner, rebooted, Then I was able to start Defender.
Member with 2,093 posts.

30-Jan-2013, 12:04 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlrbsf View Post
I had this problem when Norton expired. I removed all Norton products, ran Ccleaner, rebooted, Then I was able to start Defender.
You apparently didn't run the Norton Removal Tool. Enough Norton junk is still on your computer that Windows Defender didn't know it needed to turn back on. Run the Removal Tool and the rest of the Norton junk will be deleted - no need to reinstall and start over.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/...rProfile_en_us
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!