Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 8 Windows 8
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows 8

(!)

Member with 2 posts.

25-Feb-2013, 12:01 AM #1
Windows 8
I am running Windows 7 and finally installed Adaware. Seemed to have cleaned things up ok but would like to know if worth spending to upgrade to Windows 8.

Tnx, stap9
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 1,648 posts.

Experience: Advanced
25-Feb-2013, 01:58 AM #2
Is your reference to Adaware connected with your question?
However. I am running Windows 8 comfortably, without anymore problems than would normally be encountered, when moving to a new OS.
Windows 8 offers a small performance increase. It is also two hatted. It can run Tablets, with a new touch screen interface, initially called "Metro" but now most referred to as the "Modern" screen.
On first installation, your are faced with an unfamiliar array of large Icons. This is the priority, in Windows 8, and intended for portable touchscreen devices. One of the icons, however, witll take you directly to the legacy desktop, but without the accustomed Start globe/menu.
This can easily be reinstated, however, with the help of one of many third party start menus. Most of these have an option to bypass the modern screen on start-up

There are one or two minor differences, if you use the legacy. It is alleged that the security is tighter, but I don't doubt the hackers will not take long to turn that around! Any new features present are, for the most part, not of particular significance to the average user, but I am sure other members will enlighten you on that.
If you have a fat wallet, , then, imo, I think it is worth moving on to this next generation OS. But, on the other hand, if money is a consideration, then I do not think the expenditure is really justified.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,855 posts.

Experience: Advanced
27-Feb-2013, 06:26 AM #3
Stap9: Go to a store and try out Win8.... there are no real-world features in Win8 to make it better than Win7. It does have a new Hybrid bootup process (think of it as super-sleep mode). With an SSD on my Win7 system, my boot up time from an actual shut-down is about 20 seconds.

Everything is in Win8 is also flat and bland.

There are some really nice improvements in Win8... but the cons are heavier than the pros in my book. Personally, Win8 made me install Linux on one of my notebooks. Future of MS-OS is going downhill.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!