Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 8 Windows 8
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Why can't I save to C: drive in Windows 8?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 142 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Apr-2013, 11:35 PM #1
Why can't I save to C: drive in Windows 8?
I just reformatted and reinstalled Windows 8 yesterday. I'm running avast! and Privatefirewall on this machine.

I found this problem when I tried to save create and save a text file in notepad called "hello", containing the text "hi" to the root of the C drive (C:\). I wanted to create this file and make it hidden because I just ran Trend Micro RootkitBuster and it reported (scan took 1 second) that it couldn't find any hidden files, so I wanted to make one and rescan.. Because it may be relevant I'll post the (very) short log here:
Quote:
--== Dump Hidden MBR, Hidden Files and Alternate Data Streams on C:\ ==--
No hidden files found.

--== Dump Kernel Code Patching ==--
No kernel code patching detected.

--== Dump Hidden Services ==--
No hidden services found.
Anyways when I try to save C:\hello.txt, it says:
Quote:
You don't have permission to save in this location.
Contact the administrator to obtain permission.

Would you like to save in the My Documents folder instead?
I just checked and I am the only user on this machine and I am an administrator..

What gives?
Computer Specs
Member with 2,921 posts.

Experience: Seasoned Professional
21-Apr-2013, 12:11 AM #2
It's a security feature. Save the file elsewhere (like to your desktop, etc...), and then open Explorer, and move/copy the file to C:\
Computer Specs
Member with 3,732 posts.

21-Apr-2013, 01:14 AM #3
In order to save a text file to the root of C drive, you can open Notepad by right-clicking and selecting "Run as administrator", create your file and then click "Save as" and choose the root of C as the location. Or you can use Notepad normally, save the file in another location, then right-click the Explorer icon on the taskbar, right-click the "File Explorer" icon that appears in the popup menu, and select "Run as administrator", then drag and drop your file to the root of C.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,897 posts.

Experience: Advanced
22-Apr-2013, 07:42 PM #4
Also, just so you know. In Windows 7 and Windows 8, you are not an administrator. You are a regular user with the ability to escalate a job to have administrator rights, but you have to select that. Microsoft learned this lesson with Windows XP and Vista.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,732 posts.

22-Apr-2013, 10:41 PM #5
Actually, one can indeed be an Administrator, just not the Administrator (actually you can enable the default Administrator and leave it up to run, but I advise very highly against it). Even the Administrator only retains its elevated privileges long enough to run the program it has been called to run, and those privileges are only elevated for that program for which it has been called; not system-wide.
Computer Specs
Member with 142 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-Apr-2013, 12:18 PM #6
PS

Duh! I am so ashamed, lol thanks.
Member with 11,198 posts.

25-Apr-2013, 05:20 AM #7
have you disabled windows defender
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!