Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 8 Windows 8
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Windows 8.1 and Antivirus

(!)

LauraMJ has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Administrator with 12,336 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
23-Dec-2013, 09:47 AM #1
Solved: Windows 8.1 and Antivirus
Hi,

Does anyone know if Windows 8.1 has it's own built in antivirus? I read somewhere recently (and now can't remember where I saw it) that Windows 8.1 has a built in antivirus program and that you should not install any on that system yourself.

Is this correct?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,605 posts.

23-Dec-2013, 09:52 AM #2
yes, it has a built in antivirus from Microsoft called windows defender - which is Microsoft Security Essentials for windows 8 and 8.1

often however, manufacturers will put a trial version of a third party security suite on like, norton, mcafee etc

Last edited by etaf; 23-Dec-2013 at 09:59 AM..
LauraMJ has a Photo Album
Computer Specs

23-Dec-2013, 10:21 AM #3
Yes, this laptop came with a trail version of Norton, which is why I am confused. Isn't it a bad thing to have two antivirus programs installed? Why would they encourage you to add Norton, or at least make you think you need to install something, if they already have one built in?

I installed Avira when I bought it, and while I have not seen any problems, should I uninstall it?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,605 posts.

23-Dec-2013, 10:26 AM #4
you should only have 1 antivirus actually running - they can be on the PC , but not enabled

windows defender will be turned off and norton will take over , you may get asked to enable and setup norton when you start the PC for the first time

I would use the removal tool for norton, to get rid of that program if not required

how to turn windows defender on/off in windows 8 / 8.1
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,358 posts.

23-Dec-2013, 11:52 AM #5
Quote:
Why would they encourage you to add Norton, or at least make you think you need to install something, if they already have one built in?
Money. I don't know if OEMs get paid for every trial Norton (or other product) installed or only get paid when the customer buys a subscription to the product, but definitely there is financial incentive to install these products. That helps the OEM keep the PC price down and/or profits up.
Computer Specs

23-Dec-2013, 12:35 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by etaf View Post
you should only have 1 antivirus actually running - they can be on the PC , but not enabled

windows defender will be turned off and norton will take over , you may get asked to enable and setup norton when you start the PC for the first time
I had told it no at the time, as I detest Norton
Quote:
I would use the removal tool for norton, to get rid of that program if not required
Had already done that so I could install Avira.
Quote:
how to turn windows defender on/off in windows 8 / 8.1
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html
I'll check and make sure it is off.

Thanks.
Computer Specs
Member with 60 posts.

16-Jan-2014, 10:41 AM #7
From what I understand, if you want Windows Defender to protect your computer you have to completely remove Norton (or other 3rd party) and then enable Windows Defender. My new win8.1 computer came with Norton trial pre-installed and I plan to remove it (never liked Norton or Macaffee). Until I decide I'll keep my new machine off-line. On my XP machine- being retired now, I ran MSE along with Superantispyware and Malwarebytes (maybe redundant) Microsoft claims that Windows Defender provides protection against viruses and spyware/malware. Anybody want to recommend an ideal product or combination of products to protect my new computer?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,358 posts.

16-Jan-2014, 12:09 PM #8
Windows Defender in Windows 8 and 8.1 is actually the MSE for earlier versions of Windows. So, cripser, your XP strategy is actually pretty good for 8.1 also.
Member with 2,088 posts.

16-Jan-2014, 03:59 PM #9
Avast is pretty good - much better than it was years back and it's free (I believe there is a pay for version as well). I have Defender running on my 8.1 computers though. I see you are retiring your XP machine. Just as well since support for XP ends in April and earlier, I believe, for MSE running on XP.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,993 posts.

16-Jan-2014, 04:03 PM #10
golddust

support for mse on xp has been extended for one year - to april 2015
Computer Specs
Member with 60 posts.

16-Jan-2014, 04:56 PM #11
XP support ending was the final straw for this machine. I've put up with the broken hinges, wheezing fan, and, always racing HDD. I really didn't think it would last this long! Good to hear that Microsoft extended support for another year since I have another XP machine that I'll continue to use for some software not supported by Win8 and I can't afford to upgrade yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golddust View Post
Avast is pretty good - much better than it was years back and it's free (I believe there is a pay for version as well). I have Defender running on my 8.1 computers though. I see you are retiring your XP machine. Just as well since support for XP ends in April and earlier, I believe, for MSE running on XP.
Member with 2,088 posts.

17-Jan-2014, 09:38 AM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macboatmaster View Post
golddust

support for mse on xp has been extended for one year - to april 2015
OK, but new downloads of the software are being stopped as of April 8 of this year. Leave it to Microsoft to keep changing their minds. These dates seem to change by the day.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!