Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Server Windows Server
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Deactivation Question before Selling - Windows 2003

(!)

Member with 1 posts.

09-Apr-2012, 09:26 AM #1
Deactivation Question before Selling - Windows 2003
Approximately 6 years ago I purchased a retail version of Windows 2003 Standard with 5 Cals and I'm no longer using the software. I found the box the other day and knowing how much I paid for it back when my gameservers were colocated and not rented, I figured I'd sell the software but I don't know the process or policy of doing so. I tried contacting Microsoft to get their official ruling but I was passed to three different overseas support teams and waited approximately an hour, eventually hanging up without an answer to a somewhat simple question.

Since the software is not in use and purchased retail through Viosoftware, can I resell the software and what do I need to do to make sure the buyer won't have any issues with activation since it was previously activated? The drives that were previously installed are all wiped so there's technically nothing installed with this software at the moment.

Thank you for your help, been a while since I've been on these forums and had to re-register due to an old email addy.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,256 posts.

Experience: Advanced
10-Apr-2012, 07:28 AM #2
For retail versions of Windows 2003, you can just sell the boxed version with the software discs and COA (cert of authencity) included then there is nothing further needed doing.

If the software is OEM and came with the hardware, then the software and hardware must be sold together and must include the software discs, COA, and original invoice/receipt.

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/lice...nsing_faq.aspx
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
10-Apr-2012, 07:57 AM #3
First of all, there isn't any "Windows 2003", unless you mean a server edition or something else.

The buyer may need to activate by telephone or actually talk with a rep, but it should pose no problems beyond that. But who would want something so old that doesn't even support recent hardware? I suppose someone, if the price is right.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!