Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Server Windows Server
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Why we use DNS ?

(!)

Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
26-Jun-2012, 08:11 AM #1
Why we use DNS ?
Hi all,

We are running a small company with strength of 40 members. Users using laptops and also desktops.Laptop users connect using WiFi and desktop users via LAN. All desktops running with Windows XP Sp3 and Laptops with Windows 7 professional. Do we really need a DNS server to maintain the computers? In future along with company growth user strength also will increase. So is there is any way that we can control and monitor users through a centralized point ? also need to monitor the Internet usage? how its possible and what all we required to do so ?
Additionally what all things we can introduce to secure the network?

Please reply to this post ASAP.
Trusted Advisor with 19,633 posts.

26-Jun-2012, 08:31 AM #2
If you are in a Windows Active Directory environment then DNS is required!
Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
26-Jun-2012, 09:05 AM #3
But we don't have any Active Directory service.Can you please explain me the use of Active directory ?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 62,642 posts.

26-Jun-2012, 09:40 AM #4
this sounds like a picture perfect reason to set up a domain.........xxxxxxx.com or whatever. Then you can set up your network to allow for company and employee growth.

'explaining the use of active directory' is sort of like asking someone to explain the internet. hundreds of books have been written on it......

just out of curiousity, are you the person who is going to be handling the upgrade?

"Ask Bill why the string in function 9 is terminated by a dollar sign. Ask him, because he can't answer. Only I know that". - Gary Kildall
Member with 2,223 posts.

Experience: Advanced
26-Jun-2012, 07:06 PM #5
I know Windows Pro only allows 10 concurrent connections so I can probably assume you have about 10 different users sharing files, printers etc. That is an administrative and security nightmare. With a server running Active Directory you can centralize all the resources on the server (a lot easier to backup), control who has access to what, and not have to worry about users storing valuable data on workstations. With the domain (active directory) everything is centralized. You can install software from the server, monitor workstations, and manage windows updates.

27-Jun-2012, 10:12 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balas View Post
But we don't have any Active Directory service.Can you please explain me the use of Active directory ?
And with that response I suggest you find a local IT shop to give you the information you need. This is not something an unqualified person can setup on their own.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 62,642 posts.

28-Jun-2012, 08:16 AM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squashman View Post
And with that response I suggest you find a local IT shop to give you the information you need. This is not something an unqualified person can setup on their own.
Totally agree. It's like asking you to build a formula 1 car.........far more things that can go wrong than can go right.
Computer Specs
Member with 28 posts.

03-Jul-2012, 09:10 AM #8
You need a DNS server and a decent network by the sounds of it.

03-Jul-2012, 09:16 AM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by techniquev3 View Post
You need a DNS server and a decent network by the sounds of it.
I think they just need a decent Network Administrator. Everything else will take care of itself.
Computer Specs
Member with 28 posts.

03-Jul-2012, 09:23 AM #10
Fair point
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!