Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Exchange 2010 Distribution Group Alias

(!)

Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Advanced
28-Jun-2012, 05:35 PM #1
Exchange 2010 Distribution Group Alias
I think I know the problem with my exchange 2010 server.

I dont know it for sure since i didnt set it up but i think we were migrated or upgraded from a different version where it was valid to have "spaces" and "@" symbols in the "alias" field.

I guess they were able to edit these groups before according to them but now we cant as we get an error stating invalid data and wrong characters being used.

After looking a little closer I noticed all the DLs we are having problems with have a "space" in the alias field or they have an "@" symbol. So I guess thats why I am getting the error.

OK, so how cant I change it? I cant access the properties of the DL and I tried using the command line: set-distributiongroup -identity <distributiongroup's name> -alias <new alias>

But I get and access denied error.

Any help on this on I would appreciate.

I added my account to a couple roles that can modify DLs as well and still getting this error.

Last edited by wyatt_earp5; 28-Jun-2012 at 06:02 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 1,228 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-Jun-2012, 11:47 AM #2
It is possible to change the alias for groups using the Exchange Management Console, under Recipient Management, Distribution Groups. Once you open the properties of the group to change, click OK to clear the error message and then modify the alias field. I have replaced the spaces with either no space or an underscore character.
If you are getting access denied errors, then your user needs to be a member of the Exchange Recipient Management group in AD.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
distribution list, email, exchange 2010

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!