Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Server Windows Server
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Domain Login Problem

(!)

Member with 238 posts.

16-Apr-2009, 07:16 PM #1
Domain Login Problem
I have a client running a machine with Server 2003 Standard. Its only use right now is serving up QuickBooks data. Four users. As of Tuesday afternoon, none of them seem to be able to actually log in. What I mean is that their client machines (XP Pro) accept their domain id and password, then take a very long time to come up a desktop. Once there, the shared folder containing the QB data is visible in Windows Explorer, but a username/password is requested when one tries to display the folder content. This is new behavior as of Tuesday.

In additiion, when I try to add a domain user, I receive message that there is not trust relationship between the computer and the server. The fix is supposed to be to move the computer to a workgroup, the re-join the domain. It allowed me to leave the domain, but when I tried to re-join I got an error.

DHCP is from the router. The client computers get a dynamic IP, but static DNS, 192.168.1.1.
I am suspicious that the DNS server is not configured properly. Besides the above issues, the clients cannot browse the internet. DNS does not appear to be operating.

What I see in DNS setup is that the server IP is static at 192.168.1.1. The dsl router gateway IP is .254.

DNS is configured to monitor only .1.1, with forwarders to AT&T's DNS servers and .254. There is one domain, company.local.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 9 posts.

Experience: Advanced
16-Apr-2009, 08:54 PM #2
Have you tried to do nslookup on your workstations and see if the server ip is being resolved properly or not...
Member with 2,248 posts.

16-Apr-2009, 09:27 PM #3
Did you try restarting the DNS service or the server alltogether?
Member with 238 posts.

16-Apr-2009, 10:25 PM #4
Did not try nslookup. Did restart entire server. Had been running for something like nine months....
Member with 238 posts.

16-Apr-2009, 10:31 PM #5
I did play with nslookup on the server. It returned unknown for the first level. I think it should be returning company.local. But I don't know how to make that happen.
Member with 2,248 posts.

16-Apr-2009, 10:48 PM #6
Check the logs on the server.
Member with 238 posts.

16-Apr-2009, 10:53 PM #7
Please be more specific.
Member with 2,248 posts.

16-Apr-2009, 11:37 PM #8
The eventviewer.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 9 posts.

17-Apr-2009, 12:22 PM #9
If nslookup is not working then you could probably use the hosts file to create a static entry for the domain server in all the workstations and see if that works. If that works then its definetely your DNS that is having issues. By the way the hosts file is located at c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\ just edit it with notepad and create an entry like the server ip and then the domain name..which will be company.local, in your case...
Computer Specs
Member with 116 posts.

22-Apr-2009, 04:30 PM #10
What are the odds that IPSec has been implemented to secure communications through out the network, might that have something to do with your issue?
Member with 238 posts.

22-Apr-2009, 05:03 PM #11
I don't see any evidence of that. I had another consultant take a look. His conclusion after a couple of hours: DNS and AD are not communicating. Only solution: wipe and reload Server 2003. I decided to skip that and consider running the box on XP Pro simply for file sharing and backup. Domain security is not needed. Only 4-5 users total. The only server app is the Quickbooks database manager. The only major issue will be drivers. The box is a Dell Poweredge 1800 (dual Xeon, Adaptec SCSI controller).
Computer Specs
Member with 7,213 posts.

23-Apr-2009, 11:46 AM #12
Quote:
DNS and AD are not communicating. Only solution: wipe and reload Server 2003.
Sounds kind of drastic for just a DNS probelm, once you have DNS working right AD information will kick in.... and this consultant didn't have any other ideas?
Member with 2,248 posts.

23-Apr-2009, 02:26 PM #13
I repeat my advice. There should be plenty of errors in the DNS, FRS, and system section fo the eventviewer that would greatly help in tracking down this problem.
Computer Specs
Member with 42 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-Apr-2009, 01:07 PM #14
Sounds like the problem is with the DNS server. Is your AD your DNS server too?
Member with 32 posts.

01-May-2009, 09:43 AM #15
Can you ping the clients by name from the server? Can you ping the server by name from the clients?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
login error, server 2003

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!