Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Server Windows Server
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Registry W32 Time key missing

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 60 posts.

Experience: Beginner
28-Jul-2009, 10:35 AM #1
Solved: Registry W32 Time key missing
I’m having trouble with my time server setup in my 2003 Standard Addition Server. I’m getting a warning (W32Time, event 36) in Event Viewer stating:
The time server has not synchronized system time for 86400 seconds because none of the time server providers have usable time stamps.

The user workstation clocks are off by a few minutes. After some googling, I found what several other network admins have used to repair this. Here is the article:

I was getting this message in my event log on my Windows 2003 server, so I made a few changes. I’m making the Windows Time service get the time from a time server.
Here’s what I did to change it using regedit.exe
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Parameters\Type
Changed to: NTP
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Config\AnnounceFlags
Changed REG_DWORD value from 10 to 5.
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Parameters\NtpServer
left this at: time.windows.com,0×1
Then I restarted the Windows Time service and everything has been good since then.

The problem I’m having is I do not have this key: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Parameters\NtpServer.
Can I add this key and if so, how? Could that have been the problem?

Thanks
Pat

Last edited by plschley; 28-Jul-2009 at 10:38 AM.. Reason: type-o
Senior Member with 4,504 posts.

03-Aug-2009, 08:30 AM #2
Have you read this article?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816042
Computer Specs
Member with 9,028 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
05-Aug-2009, 04:49 AM #3
If you are missing the NtpServer value name under the HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Parameters key you can add it by right clicking in the right pane, point to New, click String Value, and type NtpServer as the Valune Name. Then double click the Value Name to open the Modify dialog and enter time.windows.com,0×1
Computer Specs
Member with 60 posts.

Experience: Beginner
05-Aug-2009, 01:30 PM #4
Thanks everyone. I got it. I remembered how to add the key last week and I see no errors in Event Viewer. . I was just concerned that it would not work. Everything is up and running…. finally!
Email This Email  Print This Print  Bookmark This Bookmark  Tweet This Send to Facebook Send to MySpace Send to StumbleUpon Digg This | More Services More
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
register editor, time server, w32, warning 36, windows 2003

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!