Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Server Windows Server
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Proxy Server Setting in Group Policy

(!)

Junior Member with 6 posts.

Experience: Beginner
03-Dec-2009, 10:35 AM #1
Proxy Server Setting in Group Policy
Hi,

We have a proxy server in our office that we use when surfing to prohibit certain websites in the office. The problem is our users go to connections tab in IE and uncheck the proxy server to access the prohibited sites. Is there a way I can force the users to use the proxy server and not let them be able to remove the proxy settings?

Thanks.
TacticalSniper TacticalSniper is offline TacticalSniper has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 261 posts.

Experience: Advanced
03-Dec-2009, 01:59 PM #2
This thread says it's in: User Configuration > Windows Settings >
Internet Explorer Maintenance > Connection > Proxy Settings
Computer Specs
Member with 9,028 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-Dec-2009, 11:36 AM #3
You'll also want to go to:
Computer or User Configuration | Administrative Templates | Windows Components | Internet Explorer
You can Enable the Disable changing proxy settings option in the right pane
Or go one level father to Internet Control Panel and you can enable the Disable the Connections page option so it won't appear, then they can't get to that setting to even try to change it.

Of course, if they have Admin accounts, they can easily get around any policy you set.

18-Dec-2009, 08:27 AM #4
Thanks for all the help. I have successfully set the proxy server settings in the group policy and also set the group policy to hide the connections tab in IE. Now for desktop users they have no problems.

However for laptop users when they bring their laptops home, they are not able to surf net as their home network is not able to see the proxy server.
Is there a way I can set the proxy settings to be applied only when connected to domain and the proxy settings to be disabled only connected to other networks?

Thanks.
Computer Specs
Member with 261 posts.

18-Dec-2009, 08:42 AM #5
Well, this is far from the best way, but where I work I set up a separate OU for laptop users, blocked GPO inheritance and set up a separate policy for those.
Member with 140 posts.

18-Dec-2009, 12:47 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanna777 View Post
You can make that change in your default domain policy
under the user configuration.
It should work withou applying it to workstations.
Since you are making the change apply to users....no workstations
are needed to be specified.
you should never use the default domain policy for changes that are not already set. always use another GPO.

18-Dec-2009, 10:34 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalSniper View Post
Well, this is far from the best way, but where I work I set up a separate OU for laptop users, blocked GPO inheritance and set up a separate policy for those.
Hi I dun get what you mean by that? I can move the laptop users to a serperate OU, but what by blocked GPO inheritance?

21-Dec-2009, 08:01 AM #8
If I create a new OU and put my laptop users there, and I disable GPO inheritance. It just means that the group policies that were applied to the main OU will not be inherited to the sub OUs rite? How would this help? I want the users to use the proxy server when in Domain only. When not in domain they should not use the proxy settings.
Computer Specs
Member with 261 posts.

22-Dec-2009, 01:21 AM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazak View Post
I want the users to use the proxy server when in Domain only. When not in domain they should not use the proxy settings.
Right. I understand what you mean now. IMO you would not be able to do this though GPO. You would need something like Microsoft's ISA Server (or an open-source project such as Untangle).
Member with 140 posts.

22-Dec-2009, 08:46 AM #10
I have a VBScript you can use that will set it at login and remove it at logoff. You can use it as a domain startup script so it will only happen onsite. It only works for IE tho (as do GPOs).
Computer Specs
Member with 95 posts.

22-Dec-2009, 07:35 PM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinuxHacker View Post
It only works for IE tho (as do GPOs).
So if you go the domain login script route you might want to block them from browsing out to websites of chrome, firefox, etc. That can be set in Internet Options > Content Adviser.
Member with 140 posts.

23-Dec-2009, 08:45 AM #12
What do you use for web filtering? You can setup a nice filter by using Squid/squidGuard. It's free under GNU. You can make it inline so any device accessing the internet will be filtered. No GPO's or scripts.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Computer Illiterate
31-Dec-2009, 01:16 AM #13
I need help
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazak View Post
Hi,

We have a proxy server in our office that we use when surfing to prohibit certain websites in the office. The problem is our users go to connections tab in IE and uncheck the proxy server to access the prohibited sites. Is there a way I can force the users to use the proxy server and not let them be able to remove the proxy settings?

Thanks.
Hi kazak this is ramesh i need ur help.I planned to install proxyserver in my office may i know how to do this .Please help me ya.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!