Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Server Windows Server
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

WS08 R2 "preparing to configure windows" issue

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 7,530 posts.

Experience: Mech. Engineering Ninja
14-Oct-2010, 10:21 AM #1
WS08 R2 "preparing to configure windows" issue
Does anyone know how to solve this issue? WS08 R2 hangs on startup and displays:

"Preparing to configure windows"

"Do not turn off your computer"

This installation had been working fine since Jan of this year. Last night I installed Acronis' new backup platform "Backup and Repair". Ran a backup of a drive. Backup got to about 50% without any issues, then went to bed. In the morning, computer was in an endless loop of displaying this message when booting, and crashing after a few minutes.

I've tried using last known configuration, doesn't work. I've tried booting in safe mode, I get the same issue. I can load the repair utility, but I don't know what commands to use to try and repair.

Thanks!
Computer Specs
Member with 7,530 posts.

14-Oct-2010, 09:39 PM #2
BUMP

Anyone? I have a feeling it could be related to a windows update, since the computer had been in a restart loop when I woke up, and a required restart from a windows update could have put it there. Or Acronis put it there. Those are pretty much the two possible culprits.

Does anyone know the command line commands I need to use to do startup repair from the WS08R2 repair console? I've only done it for fixing the boot code before, and I didn't really find what I was looking for searching online...
Member with 435 posts.

Experience: Advanced
23-Oct-2010, 10:25 PM #3
Try running SFC /SCANNOW from the recovery console. Generally, these reboot loop issues are caused when a Stage 3 of 3 update is interrupted or hangs. This command will try to repair the system file links in the system32 folder from the WinSXS folder.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 660 posts.

Experience: Theory of Relativity
02-Nov-2010, 07:47 PM #4
Computer Specs
Member with 7,530 posts.

27-Nov-2010, 06:15 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by centauricw View Post
Try running SFC /SCANNOW from the recovery console. Generally, these reboot loop issues are caused when a Stage 3 of 3 update is interrupted or hangs. This command will try to repair the system file links in the system32 folder from the WinSXS folder.
Thanks for the reply.

I just tried running SFC /SCANNOW from the repair console and I get:

"There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart Windows and run sfc again."

Not sure if I'm going to be able to get SFC to work. Any ideas?
Computer Specs

29-Nov-2010, 04:02 AM #6
Right click my computer, click manage, go to event viewer, expand system and inspect anything that you might think of noting here.
Computer Specs
Member with 7,530 posts.

29-Nov-2010, 10:30 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfne View Post
Right click my computer, click manage, go to event viewer, expand system and inspect anything that you might think of noting here.
Thanks--not sure if it was clear, but the system is not bootable. I can't boot into the WS08 R2 installation normally OR in safe mode. The only thing I can do is boot to the recovery console.
Computer Specs
Member with 7,530 posts.

30-Nov-2010, 12:01 AM #8
From the repair console, how can I find a list of the installed updates and how I can uninstall them? (As a reminder, I can't boot into windows either normally or in safe mode. This is from a command prompt in the repair console.)
Member with 164 posts.

Experience: Advanced
03-Dec-2010, 03:55 PM #9
What about doing a chkdsk /r from repair mode. Not sure if Server 2008 replaced that or not.
Computer Specs

14-Dec-2010, 09:15 PM #10
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!