Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Vista Recovery on Toshiba Satellite

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Computer Illiterate
06-Aug-2011, 06:23 AM #1
Exclamation Vista Recovery on Toshiba Satellite
I have a Toshiba Satellite P205D that runs on Windows Vista. I was having a few occasional problems with my CD/DVD drive, my updates wouldn't install, and many of my programs were seemingly corrupted as well. I tried to do a system recovery to the factory settings, and now I'm getting a message on start-up that my bootmgr is missing . None of my F keys are working, except F2 and F12. I have made several attempts at recovery since with two brand new sets of recovery disks. I have gotten the following error messages: 0x8007045D Boot: WIM; Boot .SDI; Preinst.crc and Preinst. SWM. I tried changing my boot order, and received an F3-F000-0008 message. I am desperate for help and would greatly appreciate any suggestions
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,059 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
06-Aug-2011, 10:06 AM #2
have you tried using the recovery partition?, power on while holding the 0 (zero) key....

good luck

07-Aug-2011, 02:05 AM #3
Thanks for the reply Kenny. Yes, I have tried this. I think my laptop was manufactured before this function was available. Anyone have any other suggestions?
Computer Specs
Member with 51,993 posts.

07-Aug-2011, 03:30 AM #4
Did you get recovery disks with the machine? The operating system needs to come with the machine in some form, so if you didn't get disks, then it is on your hard drive (unless you changed the partitions in any way which may have destroyed it).

Open Disk Management and see if there is more than one partition on that drive.

Right-click Computer > Manage > Disk Management

or go to Start > Run, and type:

diskmgmt.msc

When you got the machine, you should have been prompted to make a recovery disk. Did you make it?

You can try holding 0 (zero, the one above p, not the numpad) and then powering on the machine, or try F12 to see if there is a boot manu that allows a boot to recovery (it may be called something else).

If needed, you can buy a copy of Vista recovery disks from Toshiba. It will have to be from them if you want to use the product key that is on the machine. A retail version will mean that you also need a new license for Windows.

Did you get a free upgrade to 7 with that machine and do you have that DVD?

Last edited by Elvandil; 07-Aug-2011 at 03:42 AM..

08-Aug-2011, 02:43 AM #5
Thanks for the response, Elvandil

Yes~ I have a set of recovery disks that came with my laptop. My friend bought the same exact laptop on the same day, so I tried her disks as well, just to make sure mine weren't defective.

I can't get past the black screen that says 'bootmgr is missing; press control alt delete to restart'. Consequently, I can't access my desktop, start menu, or anything. Did try the method of pressing the zero key several times, to no avail.

I know it isn't likely, but I really hope someone on here will have a solution. I can't afford to have it repaired, and it was my father's last gift to me before he died.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!