Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

eMachine PC sound won't work

(!)

Member with 145 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Sep-2011, 01:18 PM #1
eMachine PC sound won't work
Hi, guys! My mom has an eMachine PC running Vista. Her sound won't work. I've tried checking devices, control panel sound, updates of drivers, unplugging the speakers and trying them in different ports...none of that helps. The speaker icon on the bottom strip shows motion as if the speakers are working, but no sound is coming out. A friend suggested that it could be a sound card problem and mentioned a usb sound card. Any ideas? Thanks.
Computer Specs
Member with 246 posts.

Experience: ξ√∫ͩ
29-Sep-2011, 01:53 PM #2
have you attempted to redownload the sound drivers from the manufacture? download this diagnostic tool to let us know what your current setup is. next let us know if you were using a sound card or the motherboards onboard sound. the difference if you dont know is that a sound card you can take out of the computer, the onboard is built into the motherboard. if you have a soundcard please provide the name and numbers ( serial number if you can find it ) on the card. if your using the onboard sound then go into your device manager and scan computer for hard ware changes, then type all of the devices that have a ! or ? next to them. if no ! or ? marks under audio let us know what the device name is, mabe you just need to reinstall the audio drivers.
here is the link for the diagnostic program, all it does is tells us a little more about your computer. http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe
Member with 145 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Oct-2011, 06:04 PM #3
Thanks, BCGreatness. Sorry it took this long to write back, but I've just been able to get out to my mom's to access her computer. Here is what I found out:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Basic , Service Pack 1, 32 bit
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor LE-1640, x64 Family 15 Model 95 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 1
RAM: 1917 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430, 128 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 142385 MB, Free - 94920 MB;
Motherboard: eMachines, MCP61PM-GM, 2.2 , OEM
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

When I checked on the sound thru the control panel, it said, "Realtek High Definition Audio not plugged in." However, the speakers ARE plugged in and on.

Any more suggestions? Thanks.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,627 posts.

22-Oct-2011, 03:45 PM #4
My motherboard has built in sound jacks. In Control Panel, Sounds. the leftmost tab is labled Playback. Click on Speakers, then click on the Properties button. A dialog box will pop up. Then click on the Level tab. In there you can adjust the volume slider.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,418 posts.

Experience: Advanced
23-Oct-2011, 09:40 AM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by axagirl View Post
OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Basic , Service Pack 1, 32 bit
Vista needs to be upgraded to SP2.

After that's done and the computer is restarted, make sure to install the post-SP2 important/recommended updates.

-------------------------------------------------------
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!