Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: A bootable device has not been detected

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 9 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Dec-2011, 05:40 PM #1
Solved: A bootable device has not been detected
In trying to repair my pc as it was in a loop, I indavertantly disabled all of my devices in the BIOS in an attempt to force my pc to allow me to run the windows repair disc for Vista. Now I just get the message "A bootable device has not been detected". Please help.
Deejay100six   (Dave) Deejay100six is offline Deejay100six has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 496 posts.

30-Dec-2011, 01:19 PM #2
Hi, and welcome to TSG.

So can you still access bios?

If not you'll have to clear cmos.

Disconnect from "wall power" and remove the cmos battery from the motherboard. Be sure to ground yourself to discharge static electricity from yourself by touching a radiator or something similar before you touch anything inside your pc.

Wait 5+ minutes - put the battery back, start and enter BIOS. Choose default settings (or similar) set time/date and check the boot priority.

Let me know if this helps.
Computer Specs

01-Jan-2012, 08:49 AM #3
Happy New Year and thanks for the prompt reply! I followed the steps as described. Unfortunately the same results persist. When I turn the pc on the F2 and F10 option (quickly appears) but when I press those keys (on different start up attempts), still can not access the Bios and the pc immediately goes into the black screen mode with: "A bootable device has not been detected". I have a dumb question... Could there be more than one battery? Because when I started the pc again, it seems as though it wasn't without power.
Computer Specs

01-Jan-2012, 10:30 AM #4
Success!! I employed your technique a second time and now I'm able to access the Bios. THANKS A BUNCH!
Computer Specs

01-Jan-2012, 10:53 AM #5
My only other issue now is resolving the initial error problem in the Windows Boot Manager: "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software might be the cause." I employed the on screen suggestions to correct this issue to no avail by I inserting the Vista installation disc, restarting the pc, it ran but cannot repair the problem... Probably d/t outdated default software files on the disc huh?
File: \Windows\system32\config\system
Info: Windows failed to load because the system registry file is corrupt or missing

Just wondering if I should try downloading a registry fix program....?
Deejay100six   (Dave) Deejay100six is offline Deejay100six has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 496 posts.

01-Jan-2012, 02:59 PM #6
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub2011 View Post
Just wondering if I should try downloading a registry fix program....?
No, I wouldn't do that.

Are you able to access safe mode? If so, you could try system restore.

Failing that, there is a procedure here that sometimes works. If it doesn't, the only option left is to reinstall.
Computer Specs

02-Jan-2012, 11:45 PM #7
I've tried every other option and checked the links that you provided (thanks) Unfortunatelly no success on getting the system restored as it was prior to the error messages appearing. My daughter relayed that she did turn the pc off without going through the start and shut down menu first. I surmise that it was likely undergoing a windows update (in the background) when she turned it off, which may have corrupted the files..... So I took your advice and now I'm reinstalling Vista and will see how that comes out. Thanks for all of your help as I really do appreciate it.

Regards,
Jonathan
Computer Specs
Member with 496 posts.

03-Jan-2012, 03:10 PM #8
I'm only sorry I couldn't assist further. If you need any help with the reinstall, feel free to post back.
Computer Specs

04-Jan-2012, 11:05 PM #9
I am having the worst time trying to reinstall Vista. Getting an error message in Windows Boot Manager:
File:\BOOT\BCD

When I attempt to install the system displays please wait... (for hours) and does not complete the installation even after hours and/or when I let the install process go overnight. If I restart the pc without the Operating System Disk (Vista Home Basic was preinstalled when I purchased the pc) it goes immediately to Windows Boot Manager and nothing happens. I see now why IT folks get a good penny for the work that they do.
Computer Specs
Member with 496 posts.

05-Jan-2012, 11:15 PM #10
Sorry mate, really busy right now but will try to get back to you soon.
Computer Specs
Member with 496 posts.

06-Jan-2012, 02:44 PM #11
Hi,

Do you have the full Windows Vista installation disc or is it just a recovery disc?
Computer Specs

09-Jan-2012, 07:32 PM #12
Thanks again for getting back to me. The disc is labeled Operating System Disc and came with the machine when I purchased it. Also written on it for distribution only with a new emachines PC. I can not get Vista Home Basic to reinstall at any juncture. I've pretty much exhausted all parameters of being able to solve this mystery as my tech knowledge is very basic.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 57,434 posts.

Experience: Advanced
09-Jan-2012, 07:57 PM #13
Set the CD/DVD drive first in the boot order in the BIOS, then save the change and exit the BIOS.

Insert the Vista DVD in the drive, then restart the computer.

Does a Press any key to boot from CD or DVD command appear?

--------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs
Member with 496 posts.

10-Jan-2012, 03:04 AM #14
Hi,

What flavallee said is a good point because I was forgetting you're not that computer savvy.

I needed to make sure you have an actual operating system disc because my next advice was going to be to wipe the drive properly. What i mean is, completely erase everything from the drive and if you only had a recovery disc, that would not be good. The Windows format, in my opinion, does not do this properly. I have asked for advice from others more knowledgeable than me and it seems that you probably do have the real disc.

So, go here and burn the disc and run it.

Then try the install again making sure that your CD/DVD drive is set to boot first in the bios. If you don't know how to do that, give me a shout and I'll try to guide you through it.
Computer Specs

10-Jan-2012, 09:38 AM #15
Thanks again. I had previously entered the Bios & set the drive order to boot from the CD/DVD DRIVE (first) & restarted the PC numerous times, when prompted... I pressed any key to boot from the disc. The choices to install or repair; I selected install then the process would just linger for hours & nothing happens (no install no prompts) even overnight. After reading Flavallee's and your posts, I'm not sure if I set the Bios in the correct order? I'm set to start from scratch w/your guidance.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!