Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Computer goes unresponsive shortly after login

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Jan-2012, 09:19 PM #1
Computer goes unresponsive shortly after login
Hi, im really new to the forum (just registered actually) so sorry if this is not in the right forum but here is my problem. i dont know why or how but last night i was playing minecraft and everything was fine then out of nowhere the screen froze so i couldn't close the frozen minecraft or click on any start icons or open the task manager. so i force turned off my computer and went to sleep. next morning the problem persisted and it hasn't gone away. every time i restart the computer i can log in just fine and the computer is perfectly fine but then if i click on a start menu icon or shortcut i get an infinite loading screen and the whole screen turns a translucent white and i cant do anything and i am forced to force restart. it works perfectly fine in safe mode with networking (which im using right now) i dont know how or why this is happening so please help me. also i am running avast, malawarebytes and ccleaner. ive had this computer for over three years i think and this has never happened till now.

here is my system specs:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 2042 Mb
Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3870, 512 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 225092 MB, Free - 4346 MB;
Motherboard: alienware, alienware
Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Disabled
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,059 posts.

01-Feb-2012, 07:35 AM #2
hello jrod,

the first thing I would try is updating your computer to sp2,

have you updated any of your drivers software lately? go here, http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Default.aspx and run the automatic driver update utility,
It will show you the outdated drivers , then you can install them.. install the chipset driver 1st then in any order..

bookmark that page cause you will need to restart your computer after each driver update. (and rerun the driver utility)

good luck
Member with 13 posts.

01-Feb-2012, 08:31 AM #3
You should never force a computer to turn off, and leave it, you can damage the CPU cores and HDD.

You should ALWAYS force shutdown and turn on again within 10 seconds, I've had this problem before and I ended up loosing one of 6 cores!

Also, you can try force shutdown again, and boot from Last Known Good Configuration, should do the trick. You can also restore to a point before the minecraft crashing point...

Good luck!

Abzter
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
computer, freezes, startup, unresponsive, vista

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!