Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Msrpc.sys error

(!)

Member with 145 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Mar-2012, 12:00 PM #1
Msrpc.sys error
Hello! I got up this morning with both my and my husband's laptops on black screens. His restarted correctly, but mine didn't.

We both have HP Pavilion dv6000 laptops running Vista Ultimate 64 bit.

The error mine has is: msrpc.sys is in a status of oxc00000e9 and "windows failed to load because a required file is missing or corrupt."

I tried a Vista Recovery disk that I made with ImgBurn several years ago. The startup repair did not work. I've repeated it and attempted a system restore, but it didn't work again.

Any ideas of what to do? This problem is preventing any use of safe mode in any form or "last known good configuration." Apparently there was an update during the night that prompted a restart, but my computer is now having this error and won't load windows.

Thanks!
Member with 145 posts.

20-Mar-2012, 12:19 PM #2
Since no one has replied to my post, I'd like to update what I've tried.

I have repeatedly tried the Recovery Disk options of "Startup Repair" and "System Restore." Startup Repair states that it cannot repair this computer automatically. System Restore has no restore points before the date of the last successful boot, so no restore points work. Messages I've read following these attempts have varied from "msrpc.sys is missing or corrupt," a couple of other sys files were mentioned during one attempt that found 3 root causes, and one root cause of "registry is corrupt."

Through reading online, I've read about commands to use with the command prompt. I have tried chkdsk /f /r, but get an error message. I have also tried sfc /scannow, but the message says it cannot begin repairs. I've read about ways to copy system files and hives and replace them with originals, but am hesitant to try messing with the registry without step-by-step directions.

I have a disk to use to reinstall Vista Ultimate, and have done this previously on another harddrive. This time I'm wondering if trying to reinstall Vista 2007 in the year 2012 is worth all of the updates that will have to be added, including SP1 and/or SP2, or if it's just time to buy a new computer.

Anyone have any ideas on what to do? Thanks!
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

20-Mar-2012, 12:48 PM #3
First, what error do you get trying to run chkdsk? Second, what error do you get trying to run sfc /scannow? What is the exact and full error?

There's only one version of Vista. Just like all versions of Windows, you'll have to apply tens or hundreds of updates that came out after the initial operating system release date.
Member with 145 posts.

20-Mar-2012, 02:51 PM #4
Thanks for responding, DoubleHelix!

Startup Repair details state that Problem Signature 05 and 06 are "Bad patch." Earlier I'd gotten the message, "A patch is preventing the system from starting."

In the details of some of the many Startup Repair attempts that have failed, messages have stated mostly that one rootcause was found, but on one attempt three rootcauses were found, ranging from "C:\windows\system32\drivers\ndis.sys is corrupt," "boot critical file c:\netio.sys is corrupt," and the original "msrpc.sys is missing or corrupt." Later attempts showed only one rootcause, from the msrpc.sys to "windows\system32\config\system" at a status of 0xx000000f and "a system required file is missing or corrupt."

The message when I run chkdsk is: "The type of file name is NTFS. The volume is in use by another process. WARNING! F parameter not specified - running chkdsk in read-only mode." After it runs through verifying files, indexes, and security descriptors, everything looks OK except "4KB in bad sectors."

When I run chkdsk /f /r, the message I geet is: "The type of file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive. Chkdsk cannot run becaause the volume is in use by another process. Chkdsk may run if this volume is dismounted first. ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID. Would you like to force a dismount on this volume?"

When I run sfc /scannow, the message says: "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service."

All of these are occurring when the computer is booted from the Recovery Disk. It will not boot in any way without that disk. The message when I try to boot without it is the msrpc.sys file is corrupt.

This is all extremely confusing to me. All I get from it consistently is that the registry is corrupted. The problems began after Windows Updates when the restart apparently failed.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and respond!
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

20-Mar-2012, 07:05 PM #5
I don't have any suggestions other than trying a Windows repair and if that doesn't work, a reinstall.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!