Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

vista wont play my vintage game

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Beginner
15-Apr-2012, 08:00 PM #1
vista wont play my vintage game
hello! i have recently decided to go on a vintage game adventure, i spent the day fighting with things like DOSBox and the compatibilty wizard. I have windows vista and a yearning to play the game torin's passage (by sierra) i went to chip.eu and downloaded a vista-compatible version onto a cd, yet when i try to play the game i get this message:

Your current display driver is not supported by this game. We require a driver which can display exactly 256 colors. You can install a different driver by selecting the appropriate options from Windows Set Up.

i went into the compatability wizard ans selected 256 colors, no luck. what is a driver? and how can i get my torin's passage to play?
Member with 2,536 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-Apr-2012, 07:18 AM #2
Setting compatibility to 256 colours doesn't work for all games unfortunately. With some games, you actually need to have the display set to 256 colours otherwise it won't run.

You would have to uninstall the existing driver for your graphics card (in Device Manager), then restart Windows.
Windows would then default to the basic Microsoft graphics driver which might allow you to select 256 colours in the display settings. If it doesn't I'm afraid you will have to accept that you can't run that game, not on a modern version of Windows anyway.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
vintage games, vista

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!