Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Hard Drive

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
20-Apr-2012, 08:22 PM #1
Hard Drive
Okay here is the Situation. I had a Sata hard drive from another PC that I put into the computer now. Window Vista found the hard drive and installed the driver I formatted the hard drive to get rid of everything on it from the previous PC. Then I put files on there. The Computer I'm on now said I needed to reboot so I did. But when I rebooted the hard drive wont pull up any information. "My Computer" See it and has assigned a letter for the drive. But it does not tell you how much space is used or free on it. When I go to access it it say I must format the Hard drive.
I have search the hard drive using Windows searching. and I see the files on there but they cannot be accessed still. I dont wanna lose the information on the hard drive. But I tried to format the hard drive a few times now. When I try the first time it didnt even start just said that this hard drive cannot be formatted might be read only, or I dont have admin rights. The Second time I tried to format the drive it was almost completed and I got the same message as before.
So the thing is I want to get the information off put it back onto my other hard drives. Then see is I cant reformat the drive again without losing any data is possible.
Any Ideas on how I should get this. And if you can, could you put it in steps for me! Thanks for any and all help anyone could help me out with.
Member with 1,546 posts.

Experience: Advanced
23-Apr-2012, 09:37 AM #2
Kadimus,
Welcome to TSG.
You can use a command prompt to verify if the files you are looking for are valid.
to open a command window, hold down the windows key and tap the R key, int the RUN Open; box type cmd and hit return.
In the cmd.exe window type dir E:\

If the file structure is valid you should see something similar to this;
C:\Users\Your Name>dir E:\
Volume in drive E has no label.
Volume Serial Number is E801-980C

Directory of E:\

09/18/2006 02:43 PM 24 autoexec.bat
09/18/2006 02:43 PM 10 config.sys
01/08/2011 06:43 PM <DIR> PerfLogs
01/08/2011 09:28 AM <DIR> Program Files
01/06/2011 11:20 PM <DIR> Users
01/08/2011 06:53 PM <DIR> Windows

Then you can use the command C:\Users\your name>copy "E:\Program Files" "C:\Users\your name\Desktop\New folder"
I created a new folder on my desktop.
Here is a you tube video that shows the process;
Computer Specs
Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
23-Apr-2012, 06:46 PM #3
I'm not sure if I am doing this right or not but I took a Video record of what I was doing. Let me know if I am missing something or if there is another way to do it or not! Thank you

You can view the video here at youtube: http://youtu.be/HVFickKvVbw
Member with 1,546 posts.

Experience: Advanced
24-Apr-2012, 07:13 AM #4
My bad, you will need to right click the cmd.exe icon and "run as administrator"
Then you need to change the directory your commands run from to C:\

C:\Windows\system32>cd c:\
c:\>

I copied a file for my C:\ to E:\
c:\>copy "C:\Users\name\Documents\Resume Template.pdf" E:\
1 file(s) copied.

Then from E:\ to a new folder I created on my desktop
c:\>copy "E:\Resume Template.pdf" "C:\Users\name\Desktop\New folder"
1 file(s) copied.

In the cmd.exe window type dir F:\
This will give you actual file directory.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
hard drive, vista

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!