Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Norton Confidential plug keeps crashing per Chrome

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-May-2012, 05:35 AM #1
Norton Confidential plug keeps crashing per Chrome
After a recent upgrade of Norton Security, I keep getting the message on entry to a website - "Norton Confidential has crashed" and Chrome and Vista generally running very slow..... has anyone got a fix?
Do I just turn off the Norton Identity plugin from within Google extensions until such time as Norton/Google sort out the problem?
Trusted Advisor with 15,694 posts.

20-May-2012, 09:49 AM #2
Hi and welcome.
Not wishing to send you elsewhere, but this seems to be a common problem and so, unless we have a Norton expert here..
Check this link.
http://community.norton.com/t5/Norto...ot/td-p/630635
Computer Specs
Member with 2 posts.

20-May-2012, 10:20 AM #3
Thanks - it looks like Norton are blaming Google, and that there's no immediate fix!
:-(
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
20-May-2012, 11:31 AM #4
My first inclination would be to say that you should get rid of everything "Norton" since by far the majority of the infected machines I fix are using it for "protection". Besides being a cause of many problems and slowing down machines, it is also one of the first to be inactivated by infecting viruses.

But, you could always go to the options in Chrome and block the plugin until there is a resolution.
captainron276   (Ron) captainron276 is offline captainron276 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,683 posts.

20-May-2012, 04:01 PM #5
Agree 100% with Elvandil, as at one time many many moons ago I used Norton/Symantic Anti-Virus program. When it became to big for it's britches and slowed my computer to a turtle pace, I got rid of it and used some Free programs for awhile until I stumbled on this site which recommended Microsoft Security Essentials. MSE is Fantastic in that it does a much better job than all the others I have used and with no interference with my computer. It is also a free program!
Computer Specs

20-May-2012, 04:20 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainron276 View Post
Agree 100% with Elvandil, as at one time many many moons ago I used Norton/Symantic Anti-Virus program. When it became to big for it's britches and slowed my computer to a turtle pace, I got rid of it and used some Free programs for awhile until I stumbled on this site which recommended Microsoft Security Essentials. MSE is Fantastic in that it does a much better job than all the others I have used and with no interference with my computer. It is also a free program!
MSE is great. My second choice would be Avast Free. It has an automatic sandbox that offers to run suspicious programs isolated from the machine if you are not sure what they are going to do. I used to pick up something or other from time to time, but have had not even one infection since using Avast, and I am not very careful since I use Acronis Backup & Recover and don't worry about restoring my system if need be.

20-May-2012, 04:40 PM #7
Avast gets my vote and the sandbox is an added protection.
Computer Specs

20-May-2012, 04:48 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues_harp28 View Post
Avast gets my vote and the sandbox is an added protection.
Yes, I like the sandbox feature very much. It's kind of too bad that you can't use it anytime you want in the free version, but it does catch most suspicious things automatically. In the pay version, it can be used to virtualize most anything, including browsers.

20-May-2012, 05:37 PM #9
It's about time I passed on a few úss and upgraded to Pro.
I think they they have earned it.
I will give it some thought.
captainron276   (Ron) captainron276 is offline captainron276 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,683 posts.

20-May-2012, 05:38 PM #10
You two have me curious to Avast, have not tried that one...
Computer Specs

20-May-2012, 06:01 PM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainron276 View Post
You two have me curious to Avast, have not tried that one...
I like it. It talks to you. Catches everything (You may even want to reduce its sensitivity). It has a very handy "off" timer so you can disable it for installations and things to speed them up. It will come back on when the timer runs out in case you forget. Doesn't seem to slow me down at all. Good to disable it during defrag so every file does not get scanned for viruses as the defragger accesses them. Also handy if you use any of those Nirsoft password programs that a lot of AV's classify as malware.

And then there's the sandbox....

20-May-2012, 06:18 PM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvandil View Post
And then there's the sandbox....

Oh yes.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
norton confidential, vista running slow

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!