Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Colour Distortion followed by screen turning off

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 9 posts.

Experience: I dont know anythng about computer parts.
28-May-2012, 11:18 AM #1
Colour Distortion followed by screen turning off
Hi. So earlier today I was downloading some codecs to play a video (K-lite codecs to play a .mkv video) which made the video work, then around 5 minutes into the video the sound went all crazy like a broken record and was like repeating a certain 2-3 seconds of sound constantly, and the video colours went all wierd. A BSOD then came up shortly after. For the last 3 hours I've been trying to sort it out but Im baffled as to what the problem is. I'm not too good with computers but have fixed a few things in my time.

Anyways, so I've tried start-up repair, and sometimes it says it cannot fix the problem, or sometimes it says its fixed and to restart. When I restart I can manage to get to the log-in screen. After logging in, everything loads up perfectly fine for 2 minutes, then all of a sudden the colours turn purple-ish and the display just goes blank, and I cant move the mouse or anything so I have to re-boot, which leads to start-up repair AGAIN and its just a continuous loop.

- I've done a few system restores, and manual system restores to dates further back, yet it doesn't change anything
- I'm writing this up in safe-mode with networking, where everything is working perfectly fine and the problem isn't occuring.

Any ideas? Thanks a lot!
Computer Specs
Member with 572 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
28-May-2012, 12:56 PM #2
Do you know what error message the BSOD displayed?

Safe Mode disables any programs that start up when your computer boots (besides Windows), could you click Start, Run, type in "msconfig" without the quotes, go to the Startup tab, and write down all the entries that have a checkmark beside them?
Computer Specs
Member with 9 posts.

29-May-2012, 07:30 AM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armiris View Post
Do you know what error message the BSOD displayed?

Safe Mode disables any programs that start up when your computer boots (besides Windows), could you click Start, Run, type in "msconfig" without the quotes, go to the Startup tab, and write down all the entries that have a checkmark beside them?
The BSOD only came up once, but anyway, this is exactly what happens. A bit after starting up, the colours will distort and I will lose display. After that I have to turn the power off and restart, and then when I restart, just before I get to the login screen the computer will switch off, and then i am forced into the system repair tool loop..

Yesterday, I disabled some processes from the msconfig when playing around and restarted a few times and the colour distortion would just "flash" for a few seconds and then it'd be back to normal. This worked for a few restarts, and I had time to quickly finish my school-work which took most of the day, therefore I never had time to come back to this topic. However, when I switched the computer off for the night and switched it on today, it loaded fine. I left the computer on for 10 minutes and went to make some breakfast, and it was all good. I came back, and then went to open chrome, and it opened, and as I was typing a website - BOOM - the colours distorted, i had to switch off, switched back on and it switched off just before login screen, then I was forced into the loop again.

At points when I load chrome in safe mode the screen goes black for 2-3 seconds then returns back and carries on at normal. Not sure if thats to do with the problem or just safe mode

This is really strange as there doesn't seem to be a proper pattern to the events :S

But anyway, a screenshot of the programmes in the msconfig startup are attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Colour Distortion followed by screen turning off-msconfig.jpg  

Last edited by Shafski; 29-May-2012 at 07:44 AM..
Computer Specs
Member with 9 posts.

29-May-2012, 08:04 AM #4
I also enabled boot logging, and then the thing froze as usual just before startup, and this is the log I got (attached)
Attached Files
File Type: txt ntbtlog.txt (233.4 KB, 35 views)
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!