Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Robert

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 5 posts.

28-Jun-2012, 04:40 AM #1
Robert
Vista 64-bit, 500gb hd, 4gb mem., pavilian dv-6 1280us Entertainment sys.
what has changed, will not read the mouse, installed a registry checker, after cleaning registry, it asked to do a restart, no the system will not run in any mode, not safe, not safe with internet, not dos, not last known good config., it goes to the blue error screen, does a mem dump, asks to do disk repair, this fails, asks to go back to a earlier registry time, this does not work, asks to send info to Microsoft, I click ok, then finishes, I click finish and it shuts off again. same cycle in any mode attempted. It does run hard it get hot, it ususlly shuts itself down if it gets too hot, it has been this way sense I bought the system. I let it cool, restart and still goes through same process.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
28-Jun-2012, 05:21 AM #2
Registry "cleaners" or "checkers" will damage your system. It only deletes things, sometimes important things. Or mixes apples and oranges if it doesn't delete them.

Can you start from scratch and reinstall Windows? Or try a System Restore point?
Computer Specs
Member with 5 posts.

28-Jun-2012, 08:25 AM #3
Vista not entry
System restore does not work, it goes back to the fatel error blue page, then shuts down, my system did not come with a cd/dvd for restoring windows, sealed box, the store says they now come with restore in drive D: but it totally clears my system and starts from scratch, reloading everything to defult and new.
I could not get in using dos command, however the advanced option after going through the restore attempt phase, has a dos entry page ava. I am at least moving folders I wish to keep onto a portable HD.

sense I am now in dos, any ideas to fix the computer without having to clear it and start over?

and thank you for your reply
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 56,982 posts.

Experience: Advanced
28-Jun-2012, 10:05 AM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarrob View Post
my system did not come with a cd/dvd for restoring windows, sealed box, the store says they now come with restore in drive D:
You can purchase a recovery disc kit for that HP Pavilion dv6-1280us laptop from here for $27.00 plus shipping or from here - if it's still available from HP.

--------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by flavallee; 28-Jun-2012 at 10:11 AM..
Computer Specs
Member with 5 posts.

29-Jun-2012, 04:00 AM #5
no cd/dvd
due to Hp and not supplying cd's with the new computers, they are partitioned with a recovery drive, however do I have to do a system restore to its original factory settings before I use my set of backup disks that I made when I first bought and booted up my computer when it was new? or is there a way to start this set of backup disks from dos. I can not get to windows, I have tired all possibilities for the last week, now I have decided to completely start over.

1. is there a way to start the restore process for my backup disks from dos? I have 32 disks made from original backup, cant find an exicutable file on them, how are they used.

2. do I have to first do a full system restore to factory settings before being able to use these backup disks?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!