Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Laptop Will Not Launch Windows

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
01-Jul-2012, 01:32 PM #1
Laptop Will Not Launch Windows
Hello everyone,

I am having issues repairing my parents' laptop. It is a Sony VAIO (VGN-NS10L) that is approximately 3 and a half years old. It has Vista.

Every time it boots, it launches the black screen that prompts either "Launch Startup Repair" or "Start Windows Normally". It is very slow and takes a few minutes before it reaches this screen.

When I "Launch Startup Repair", it attempts to repair but says every time: "Windows cannot repair this computer automatically. At this point it gives me some "problem details": http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/...2/DSC00628.jpg and http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/...2/DSC00629.jpg.

It gives me three options: "View diagnostic and repair details", "View advanced options for system recovery and support", or simply shut down.

The "diagnostic and repair details" seem quite long, so I have decided not to include them at this point until I know they're of use. However, if anyone wishes to know these details, partially or in full, I will be happy to provide it.

The "view advanced options" goes onto "System Recovery Options". From here I have tried the following:

System Restore:
- This takes an extremely long time to load. Every time I click it says that the program is "already running". I assumed it simply wasn't loading, until it opened later on while I was in the "Windows Complete PC Restore" window.
- It may be worth noting that all restore points (of which there are over 20) have "Install: Windows Update" in the "Description" field.
- The first attempt was at the earliest possible restore point, back in May. This resulted in an error (http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/...2/DSC00634.jpg).
- I then selected the most recent restore point. It then said it was successful, and I allowed it to reboot the system. As before, it took several minutes to load, staying on a blank black screen.

Windows Complete PC Restore:
- There is no backup file available.

Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool:
- This also takes a very long time to complete. I cannot remember the exact message but I think it found no problems or solutions (I am currently running it again now and will update with the exact message).

Command Prompt:
- I have tried the "sfc /scannow" prompt in CMD. After a few minutes, it says "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service".
- I also tried "sfc /verifyonly" and received the same message.
- I have not yet tried "sfc /scanfile" or sfc /verifyfile", simply because I do not know which file to scan/verify.
- I did notice that the drive used here is "X:". Is this right? Or is this supposed to be the "C:" drive?

In the F8 boot menu, I have also tried:

Safe Mode:
- I have tried all three safe mode options, and all result in another blank screen, followed by the "Launch Startup Repair" screen again. It seems that there is no way that I can see of launching Windows.

I will update this thread with further details and images if necessary. I hope the details I have specified are of some assistance and please feel free to ask me for more.

Thanks in advance!
Reece
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,489 posts.

02-Jul-2012, 07:02 PM #2
I know you didn't post here just to have somebody suggest the "nuclear" option, but I'm gonna anyhow since you haven't had a response in over a day. Reinstall (or Recover to factory defaults) Windows. Chances are it hasn't been "freshened up" since it was new anyhow.
Computer Specs
Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
05-Jul-2012, 12:11 PM #3
Thanks for your reply, Terry.

I did in fact restore to factory default - the reason I didn't before was because I didn't realise it was possible without going into Windows. After looking online, I found that there is a shortcut to get to the restore to default screen.

To anyone reading with the same problem with a Sony VAIO, I did the following: as it booted, I held down Alt + F10. I then ran the diagnostic test first (this does take a few hours, so you may wish to skip it), which confirmed that there was a fault with the hard drive. I then restored the C: drive.

So thanks Terry, I wouldn't have considered looking for that shortcut without your suggestion!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,489 posts.

05-Jul-2012, 03:07 PM #4
You're welcome. Thanks for posting back with your solution.

I'll bet that your parents did not create a set of Recovery DVDs to use if (or should I say when?) the hard drive fails in a way that makes the Recovery partition or that "shortcut" unusable. Encourage them to do it now before it is too late.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
boot, launch, vista, windows, won't

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!