Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Vista won't get past green loading bar

(!)

Member with 6 posts.

Experience: Beginner
02-Jul-2012, 11:41 PM #1
Unhappy Vista won't get past green loading bar
Hi, everyone! My younger sister was using my laptop last night and now it will not start up. It is a Vista from HP.

Whenever I turn it on it automatically goes to this message:

"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.

If Windows files have been damaged or configured incorrectly, Startup Repair can help diagnose and fix the problem. If power was interrupted during startup, choose Start Windows Normally.
(Use the arrow keys to highlight your choice.)

Launch Startup Repair (recommended)
Start Windows Normally"

If I choose Launch Startup Repair it asks for an installation disc, but I do not have one. If I choose Start Windows Normally it gets to the green loading bar and stays there.

I have tried starting it up in Safe Mode, but it does not let me. It only starts loading some data, but gets stuck and never finishes. I have also tried Last Known Good Configuration, but it gets stuck on the green loading bar.

Is there any way I can fix this without losing any of my files? I do not care about losing programs, but the files are very important to me. Should I call HP instead?

I do not understand a lot about computers so please be patient with me. Thanks!!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
03-Jul-2012, 12:03 AM #2
You should get your files before anything else.

Parted Magic disk partitioning, PC repair, and file recovery tool (Bootable CD or USB image)
If you prefer a bootable USB key, download and run Linux Live USB Creator. Choose the Parted Magic distro, and it will download it and automatically create a bootable USB key.

This CD (or key) contains many useful tools. You can partition, recover files, recover lost partitions, make disk images (by several different methods), transfer files between media, scan for viruses (It can serve as an Alternative Trusted Platform for search and elimination of rootkits and bootkits), examine and benchmark hardware, access the internet, and much more.
Member with 6 posts.

03-Jul-2012, 05:38 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvandil View Post
You should get your files before anything else.

Parted Magic disk partitioning, PC repair, and file recovery tool (Bootable CD or USB image)
If you prefer a bootable USB key, download and run Linux Live USB Creator. Choose the Parted Magic distro, and it will download it and automatically create a bootable USB key.

This CD (or key) contains many useful tools. You can partition, recover files, recover lost partitions, make disk images (by several different methods), transfer files between media, scan for viruses (It can serve as an Alternative Trusted Platform for search and elimination of rootkits and bootkits), examine and benchmark hardware, access the internet, and much more.
Thank you for your reply. I have burned Parted Magic onto a CD and inserted it into the laptop. The laptop ejected the CD and now the Parted Magic desktop is displayed on my laptop. I am unsure of what to do now. How do I save my files? or Have they already been saved?
Member with 6 posts.

05-Jul-2012, 10:11 AM #4
Anyone??
Member with 6 posts.

06-Jul-2012, 11:22 AM #5
I have saved all my files. What do I do now?
Member with 11,752 posts.

06-Jul-2012, 11:29 AM #6
What make and Model is this laptop and can you borrow a Vista disc to try a startup repair>
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 56,967 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Jul-2012, 03:28 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by miau87 View Post
My younger sister was using my laptop last night and now it will not start up. It is a Vista from HP.
It's too bad we don't know what your sister did on that laptop before it crashed.

------------------------------------------------------------

What's the model name and full model number of that HP?

If you don't know for sure, advise what the product number(P/N) and/or model number(M/N) on the sticker is.

Member with 6 posts.

08-Jul-2012, 10:48 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megabite View Post
What make and Model is this laptop and can you borrow a Vista disc to try a startup repair>
It is an HP Pavilion dv2988se. I can't borrow a Vista disc.
Member with 6 posts.

08-Jul-2012, 10:50 PM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavallee View Post
It's too bad we don't know what your sister did on that laptop before it crashed.

What's the model name and full model number of that HP?

If you don't know for sure, advise what the product number(P/N) and/or model number(M/N) on the sticker is.

Haha, wish I knew. I just know she plays computer games online. It is an HP Pavilion dv2988se. p/n is FE983UA#ABA
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 56,967 posts.

Experience: Advanced
09-Jul-2012, 09:50 AM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by miau87 View Post
It is an HP Pavilion dv2988se. p/n is FE983UA#ABA
Here is the support site for the HP Pavilion dv2988se (FE983UA#ABA) laptop.

It came with Windows Vista Home Premium SP1(64-bit) pre-installed.

Here is the HP link to order the recovery disc kit for it - if it's still available after 4 years.

Here is the Computer Surgeons HP Recovery Center link that appears to still have it available for purchase.

----------------------------------------------------------
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
green loading bar, start up, vista

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!