Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

No sound whatsoever.

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 8 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Jul-2012, 03:31 AM #1
No sound whatsoever.
I had some problems booting yesterday, which I've had previously but fixed by reseating the video card.

I repeated this action and all is fine.

However, when I did boot, I had absolutely no sound. I've tried everything. I've tried checking drivers, I've tried resetting CMOS, I've tried unplugging things, everything.

Some said it was related to my Logitech QuickCam which I've now unplugged and uninstalled. Suggestions were to plug it back in to a different port but not to install drivers, but that didn't work either.

I've checked the Device Manager, the levels, whether it's muted, all of that.

I tried checking drivers but I'm confused because specs for my computer state I should have a Realtek ALC883 but all I see is "High Definition Audio Device". Could that be something?

I don't get any levels produced at all when playing videos. No sound is registered at all. I've tried reseating RAM to no avail.

I just have no idea what it could be at all. I really don't want to have to reformat, but I can't think of anything else to do.

So please, any advice may well save me further torment and hair-tearing.
Member with 2,536 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Jul-2012, 11:33 AM #2
Unless the PC was custom-built (ie no name) the sound driver should be downloaded from the PC manufacturer's website.
If it does need the driver re-installing, there should be an error symbol in Device Manager until the driver is installed.

However, even when there are no error symbols and a device seems to be installed okay yet still doesn't work, re-installing the driver has been known to fix it. Just shows you can't always trust Device Manager to flag up driver errors.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!