Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Finding Product Key, Security Update failures and DIBS Notify

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-Jul-2012, 12:08 AM #1
Wink Finding Product Key, Security Update failures and DIBS Notify
Hi:

I've done a number of things to my laptop -- probably not a good idea -- in a desperate attempt to turn back the hands of time and restore my computer to a time when it worked at its most optimal. These efforts have primarily included a number of attempts to restore my system to earlier dates, or to configure my system to the last time it started up correctly. The latter restored my computer way back to 2010.

Though the original problem disappeared, a host of new problems have since cropped up, and are proving quite resistant to all attempts at eradicating them. Eventually, trouble-shooting research concluded that the kind of problems I was experiencing -- i.e. important security updates that consistently fail to upload, or Windows asking me repeatedly to reboot my computer in order to complete the installation of updates it had already installed; it transpired that my computer would benefit greatly if I were to re-install Windows Vista.

Without pause, convinced it was the easiest panacea; I re-installed Windows Vista, not by using a Windows Vista instillation disc -- I do not own one as my computer arrived from the store with Windows Vista already installed; but by following Lenovo Care software built into the computer itself. (The process was not unlike the one I followed when I was simply executing a system restore.)

It was only after I had done this, rebooted and then asked to activate the newly re-installed Windows Vitsa that I hit a snag: I needed the computer's unique product key, found on a special sticker on the reverse side of the laptop, or on the Windows Vista disc I never owned. I call it a snag because that sticker is no longer readable; all writing on it has completely faded since my 2009 purchase of the laptop.

My warranty from Lenovo has expired. As a consequence, Lenovo Tech Support robotically refuses to listen to anything I say beyond "hello". And all I really want to know is, how do I obtain the same or new product key with which to complete my Windows Vista re-installation. Better yet: Is there another way to circumvent this unforeseen (by me) road block in my path to IT harmony and utopia?

(Currently, by computer is working relatively smoothly, if you ignore the fact that it states, at the bottom right-hand corner of the desktop: "Windows Vista TM // Build 6002 // This copy of Windows is not genuine", and that it pops up a window periodically, encouraging me to type in the product key. Other recurring problems include:

1. Repeated unsuccessful attempts to install the same two security updates -- "KB 2378111" and "KB 2503665".

2. Periodically, a window pops up bearing this message -- "DIBS Notify stopped working and was closed: A problem caused the application to stop working correctly. Windows will notify you if a solution is available." I do not understand this message, what "DIBS Notify" is, and the severity of this Windows alert. Windows has yet to notify me of the availability of a solution to this problem.

:D WHAT I NEED FROM YOU:

I suspect a solution to my Windows Vista product key saga will not be resolved on this forum. In the interim, could you help me resolve the other smaller problems I listed above?

Best,
Joe-the-Amateur
7-22-2012
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
22-Jul-2012, 01:17 AM #2
If you are using Norton, you might want to get rid of it and use a good anti-virus instead. Use the removal tool from their site after uninstalling it. The DIBS service may have something to do with that (unless you don't have it ).
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
dibs notify, home premim, product key, re-install windows vista, windows vista 32-bit

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!