Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Can not connect to the internet

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 10 posts.

Experience: Beginner
29-Jul-2012, 02:53 PM #1
Can not connect to the internet
I am using my XP Computer to post this question

Windows Vista Home Premium SP2
HP
Model: a6130n
Processor: AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core 5000+ 260GHZ
RAM: 3.00GB
System type: 32bit Op System

On my Vista computer with IE9, FireFox 14.0.1 and Google Chrome. I have been able to sign into the internet with all three of these browsers until two days ago. When I try to get the internet with IE or FireFox I get the following messages; IE = IE cannot display the webpage and with FireFox = Unable to connect. For some reason I CAN connect to the internet with Crome although I do not like or use it as I can not get my bookmarks there, or don't know how.

I have not done anything different, in fact, I had not turned the computer off. I was able to connect the night before and yesterday morning with IE (I use it all the time) and then I came back yesterday afternoon and can not connect as stated above.

I am not that computer literate only like a beginner. Uusally use for surfing the web and e-mails so I am at a loss.

Thank you in advance for your support.

Rich

Last edited by homeinspec76; 29-Jul-2012 at 05:48 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 5,618 posts.

29-Jul-2012, 05:57 PM #2
To get your bookmarks inside Chrome, go to wrench > bookmarks > Import Bookmarks and Settings. You can then choose IE.

Go to Control Panel > Internet Options > Connections tab > Lan settings button. Uncheck everything inside.
Computer Specs
Member with 10 posts.

29-Jul-2012, 06:40 PM #3
I did as you suggested with respect to the internet options>connections>Lan Settings button. Un-check everything inside - nothing was checked. So I thought I would click on connections>setup button. When I did that it said I was already conected to the internet.

Maybe I should have also said I am on Verizon with my XP Computer and the Vista Computer. I do not have any issues with the XP Computer, only with Vista. So if I am able to connect with one computer using IE or FireFox shouldn't I be able to do so with both?

I am sorry but I am not very good at computers
Computer Specs
Member with 5,618 posts.

29-Jul-2012, 07:22 PM #4
For your IE problem, try this:

Backup your IE favorites folder first, just in case.

Go to Control Panel > Internet Options > Advanced > Reset button.
Computer Specs
Member with 10 posts.

29-Jul-2012, 08:41 PM #5
OK went to internet options>Advanced>reset then a pop up page came up then I clicked reset on it. this time when IE came up saying it could not display webpage another pop up came up -

Windows Internet Explorer 9 and it said "Set up Internet Explorer 9" with one of two options that can be chosen

1. o-Use recommended security and compatibility settings

2. 0-Don't use recommended settings.

I clicked #1 then OK then I closed out the IE and opened it again and still no connection. I clicked on diagnose connection problems and the window network diagnostics popup showed up and said - Windows did not find any problems with this computers network connection.

The results are the same each time,,,
Computer Specs
Member with 10 posts.

30-Jul-2012, 12:21 PM #6
One thing I don't understand is, why is Chrome the only one I can get connected with when the day before I was able to get connected with BOTH IE and FireFox,, seems to me if I lost connection for one it would affect all 3 or am I missing something here?

Thanks again,, Rich
Computer Specs
Member with 5,618 posts.

31-Jul-2012, 06:05 PM #7
(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista or 7.

Start - All Programs - Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

Last edited by lunarlander; 01-Aug-2012 at 04:58 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 10 posts.

01-Aug-2012, 12:49 AM #8
OK,, problem;

I got the "Administrator Command Promt" window and it said "C:\Windows\system32>

then I typed in the full sentence

"Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog" then I clicked enter and got the following in the next line;

"reset is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"

so then I typed in " netsh winsock reset catalog" and I got the following;

"The following command was not found: winstock reset catalog."

I am sorry for my confusion on this but I have never done anything with the "Administrator Command Prompt" window so am not sure whjat I am supposed to be typing n there after the "C:Windows\system32>

As I had said in my profile I am not that good with computers, I normally use it for e-mails and just surfing the internet.

Thank you for your patients, Rich
Computer Specs
Member with 5,618 posts.

01-Aug-2012, 04:59 PM #9
You typeed it in wrong. It should be "winsock" instead of "winstock". I have edited my post. The commands are now in blue,.
Computer Specs
Member with 10 posts.

01-Aug-2012, 05:40 PM #10
In my reply above I did do that and I tried it once more just to be sure I didn't mis-type something and got the following messgae which is the same as when I tried this last time,,

I typed in " netsh winsock reset catalog" and I got the following;

"The following command was not found: winstock reset catalog."

Is there spaces between all of those words? because I typed it exactly the way you posted above.

Just for giggles I went forward and tried to enter the next step,,

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

and I got the following message:

Reseting Echo Request, OK!
Reseting Global, OK!
Reseting Interface, OK!
A reboot is required to complete this action.

I rebooted and got the following when I went back to the "Administrator Comand Prompt" and entered the netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reseting Echo Request, OK!
Reseting is not recognized as an internal or external command,
ooperable program or batch file.

I re-booted and IE and FireFox still will NOT connect. Chrome is OK and connects. So nothing has changed, still same problem?????

any more ideas???
Computer Specs
Member with 10 posts.

01-Aug-2012, 05:56 PM #11
sorry about that, I did it again and made sure it was

" netsh winsock reset catalog"

and this time got message that it was successful. I re-botted as instructed. IE and FireFox STILL WON'T connect
Computer Specs
Member with 10 posts.

05-Aug-2012, 02:57 PM #12
Anyone ,, can you help me??
Computer Specs
Member with 5,618 posts.

05-Aug-2012, 06:09 PM #13
Hmm, what firewall are you using?
Computer Specs
Member with 10 posts.

05-Aug-2012, 09:27 PM #14
I don't know how to find this out,, I guess it is Windows but ,,

if I can get connected with 'Google Chrome" and nothing had changed from one day to the next. I have always used IE and occasionally FireFox and the next day when I went to get on the internet nothing would connect other than "Chrome" which I had only recently installed and used it a couple times for searching the web.

I have Verizon Fios with the Vista computer and this one (XP) connected to the same modem and the XP computer does everything with no problems,,

just trying to give you a little more insight to what I have and etc,,

Thanks again, Rich

Now I don't have connection with Google Chrome,, but I just had all of the Norton internet security do all of the updates so it must just be the Browsers that are messed up,,???

Last edited by homeinspec76; 06-Aug-2012 at 12:31 AM..
Computer Specs
Member with 10 posts.

06-Aug-2012, 12:42 AM #15
I was playing around while waiting here and I just clicked on Norton Internet Security updates, it started downloading all of the up dates. when it finished I did the re-boot as suggested. once it re-booted I clicked on Google Chrome and it connected,, so for giggles I clicked on IE and it connected and everything is back to normal. So I guess there was something within Norton that had prevented the Vista computer to connect with the browsers,,

Thank you so much for your patients and help. It is most appreciated.

Thank you once again,, Rich
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!