Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Converting to Windows 7

(!)

Member with 3 posts.

29-Jul-2012, 02:43 PM #1
Converting to Windows 7
I am not very computer savy. I have a Windows Vista operating system and want to change it to Windows 7. The directions say I must have 20 GB Free space on "C" to do this. I have a data "D" drive which has lots of free space. Can I just put everything that is on "C" to the D drive? Im afraid that something might not work if I do this. The things that are remaining on the C drive are things like Program Files which don't even tell me how much space they are taking up. I currently have 6.14 out of 98.3 GB of free space on C. I have already moved all of my photos, etc. to the D drive. Thanks for your help, Pam
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
29-Jul-2012, 03:07 PM #2
You can't move any system folders like Program Files without causing the machine to stop working altogether.

You should have an external backup for all the files you want to keep. Ortherwise, when your hard drive fails, you will lose everything. Now may be a good time to consider that since everything can easily be lost during an upgrade.

Was the upgrade supplied by your computer manufacturer? If not, you may not be able to upgrade. The Windows you have now, if OEM from the manufacturer, is not the same as the retail version.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,700 posts.

29-Jul-2012, 04:50 PM #3
To find out how big a folder is, right click on folder and choose Properties.

You can also use a program like Treesize to visually see which folders are taking up space. It is available from here: http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/

As mentioned by Elvandil, you can't move Program Files and its contents. But you can move your pictures and music. They usually take up a lot of space.
Member with 3 posts.

04-Aug-2012, 07:22 AM #4
Thanks for your help! Glad to know that Windows 7 might not be compatible, I will check on that.
Pam
Member with 3 posts.

04-Aug-2012, 07:23 AM #5
Thanks for the info! I will see what else I can do to free up some more space!

Pam
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!