Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Computer freezes during backup and MSE full virus scan

(!)

Member with 4 posts.

03-Aug-2012, 03:58 PM #1
Computer freezes during backup and MSE full virus scan
Hello:
Regular backup on an external drive does not now complete; computer freezes half way through. Same with MSE full virus scan.
To add to this, also getting a new error message that the computer settings cannot allow downloads.

Recent changes: Updated to Office 2010 by local comupter shop (while repairing screen). He also installed cccleaner as well as malwarebytes. I uninstalled MWB in case this was causing a conflict.
Not much change

Defeated this time; would greatly value your advice.
Thank you.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 6
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3061 Mb
Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family, 448 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 292317 MB, Free - 195225 MB; D: Total - 10239 MB, Free - 4756 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0N6705
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,546 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Aug-2012, 12:43 PM #2
I have to question the reliability of a computer shop technician who installs and uses CCleaner or any other registry "cleaner/fixer" utilities.

Improper use of these utilities can damage the Windows operating system and break certain programs and generate unexpected error/warning messages and wreak havoc with a computer.

---------------------------------------------------------
Member with 4 posts.

06-Aug-2012, 02:17 PM #3
...which I am finding to my (further!) cost...
I have uninstalled MalwareBytes as well as Microsoft Essentials and replaced these with Panda, which seems much more user-friendly. The Windows Backup and Restore now fails altogether, however (but does not freeze...). Any ideas? Would you say the ccCleaner is superfluous?
Thank you for your time.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs

06-Aug-2012, 08:20 PM #4
I install and use nothing but

Microsoft Security Essentials 4.0.1526.0
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.62.0.1300
SUPERAntiSpyware 5.5.0.1012

in my own computers and in the computers that I work on. They're free and light-weight and user-friendly and well-recommended here.

-----------------------------------------------------------

If you have all your personal data(documents, photos, music, videos, etc.) backed up to external media, a clean reinstall of Windows Vista SP2 and getting a fresh start may be your best option.

What's the model name and model number of your Dell, and what's the 7-character service tag number on the sticker?

-----------------------------------------------------------
Member with 4 posts.

11-Aug-2012, 04:12 AM #5
Hello:
Following repeated bluescreen errors, I uninstalled Panda and have reverted to MSE - this found a Trojan, undetected by the many Panda scans :s
However, issue of freezing remains, which does not allow the Windows backup to complete (to an external drive). I am getting a "catastrophic error 0x8000ffff"... Have tried ccleaner and all forum advice again, with no success. Any thoughts, please?
My Dell is an XPS 1330. Service Tag GLL834J
Thank you for your time.
Computer Specs

11-Aug-2012, 11:47 AM #6
According to service tag number GLL834J, your computer is a Dell XPS M1330 laptop.

It was purchased in December 2008 in the United Kingdom.

It has support and drivers for Windows Vista(32-bit/64-bit) and Windows 7(32-bit).

Considering all the issues that you're having with it, a "clean" reinstall of Windows Vista(32-bit) and getting a fresh start is probably your best option.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/...iceTag/GLL834J

---------------------------------------------------------------
Member with 4 posts.

11-Aug-2012, 11:59 AM #7
Thank you for responding. I have resisted a reinstall of any kind as I am terrified of losing research data (which happened with a previous laptop). I've tried to backup to an external drive (via Windows) in case this may be the last resort, but which does not complete, so a cul-de-sac. Am backing up my files, at least, using SyncBack, and will persevere. Much appreciate your time and input; thank you.
Computer Specs

11-Aug-2012, 12:12 PM #8
You're welcome and good luck

----------------------------------------------------------
captainron276   (Ron) captainron276 is offline captainron276 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,699 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
11-Aug-2012, 03:21 PM #9
Also, as flavallee mentioned CCleaner or any other registry "cleaner/fixer" utilities.
Quote:
Improper use of these utilities can damage the Windows operating system and break certain programs and generate unexpected error/warning messages and wreak havoc with a computer.
. After you do a fresh install, don't use them again! Nothing but trouble.
Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
14-Aug-2012, 10:27 PM #10
I recently had trouble doing a backup onto a portable hard drive. Worked just fine until a couple of days ago.
I noticed that when the backup was about 75%, I would get a Microsoft Security Essentials popup saying a threat had just been stopped.
A check of MSE logs showed that the software used to 'read' the shadowwriting was thought to be malicious, and stops it everytime.
Any fixes to this?
captainron276   (Ron) captainron276 is offline captainron276 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,699 posts.

14-Aug-2012, 11:12 PM #11
Curtwayne,

It is not a good idea to pop in on someone else's thread and start another problem. Start your own thread so as to get help for yourself.
Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
14-Aug-2012, 11:46 PM #12
That was not my intention, I thought it may be the same issue that Therexa was having. So sorry, will look for answers elsewhere from this forum.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,699 posts.

14-Aug-2012, 11:50 PM #13
The odds of having the same issue with same computer with same Windows setup, etc. etc. are next to impossible. Please feel free to ask your question in a new thread
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!