Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Reinstalled vista and now it doesnt connect wireless adapter

(!)

Member with 26 posts.

10-Aug-2012, 07:48 PM #1
Reinstalled vista and now it doesnt connect wireless adapter
I have had nothing but hell since reinstalling vista. I have a wireless card which worked prior to reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling vista. Now it cannot detect it. I tried downloading wireless drivers for this exact model hp pavilion 6700 but still no luck. I have no idea what to do now and I have already spent money fixing this laptop and buying another copy of vista to try and get it working again.

Can someone please help
Computer Specs
Member with 13 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
10-Aug-2012, 07:57 PM #2
Do you have the CD that should of came with the card? (assuming it is a external adapter) If it is built in, you will have to get exact model name and number of the adapter to find it on the internet via the Company Site and if you don't have the CD, you will have to do the same..
Member with 26 posts.

10-Aug-2012, 08:05 PM #3
I bought the laptop from my friend and I dont think they had a cd for that. I have no idea what type of adapter it is. Would I have to open the laptop up to determine that?
Computer Specs
Member with 13 posts.

10-Aug-2012, 08:15 PM #4
Check Device manager.

Go to Start>>Right click my computer >>Click Properties >> Go to Tab Hardware >> Device manager >> look under Network Adaptors and tell me what you see there.
Member with 26 posts.

10-Aug-2012, 08:19 PM #5
There is no network adapters node. I have a few exclamation marks under other devices. 2 of which is ethernet controller. This does not look promising does it?
Computer Specs
Member with 13 posts.

10-Aug-2012, 08:26 PM #6
Well the problem is, when you do a system recovery or restore on a computer, sometimes, hardware will become unresponsive but this happens usually only with laptops.

Best bet is to try to unplug your adaptor and replug it in but this will be hard since it is a laptop. But if you successfully do this, it should have a popup saying "New hardware found".
Member with 26 posts.

10-Aug-2012, 10:46 PM #7
I tried that and still no difference. It just does not detect it. Is the problem simply that I do not have the exact drivers needed for it?
Member with 26 posts.

10-Aug-2012, 11:13 PM #8
I even downloaded the correct drivers for the wireless adapter going by the numbers on the adapter. Still not detecting it.
Computer Specs
Member with 13 posts.

11-Aug-2012, 09:43 AM #9
Probably a defective Driver, I gave all answers I can give about this situation. Your problem is either the Adapter is not properly plugged in, your not finding the correct driver or the driver is faulty.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,877 posts.

11-Aug-2012, 10:35 AM #10
Any error message when you tried to install the downloaded driver?
Member with 26 posts.

11-Aug-2012, 11:19 AM #11
No error message when installing the drivers. I really dont want to spend anymore cash trying to fix this laptop. It might have to get thrown off a wall very soon lol
Computer Specs

11-Aug-2012, 12:59 PM #12
Now with the drivers installed is there anything under Network Adapters in Device Manager?
Member with 26 posts.

11-Aug-2012, 01:12 PM #13
There is still no network adapter node. There are 2 ethernet controller nodes under `other devices` both with exclamation marks
Computer Specs

11-Aug-2012, 01:27 PM #14
Rather unusual to not get an error message on the installation and yet not have the adapter at least recognized as a network adapter.

Assuming they all exist, install these drivers in this order--chipset, ethernet, wireless. If that doesn't work or give an error message I am definitely stumped.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!