Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

PC not responding

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 39 posts.

Experience: Computer Illiterate
18-Aug-2012, 04:49 AM #1
Unhappy PC not responding
Hi, Does anyone have any suggestions as what to do about a PC that constanly does not respond. It is doing all sorts of silly and annoying things. It freezes, it does not repsond and lots of times, when I click on a link or page up and that sort of thing, nothing happens, it also closes the program, or sometimes the IE down. I have taken my PC back to factory settings twice now and still it is no better. I only have the softwear programs on it that I really need and all these programs worked fine before. Something similar happened a couple of years back and I ended having the PC engineer come in and he put me more memory on it and told me it would be fine and it has been until now. I do have an awful lot of files on it but most of them are on the D drive and there is still some space on them so they are not completely full. Do I need to get even more memory? I hope not as it costs and I dont have the cash. I do have an external drive that I could transfer some files onto.

Any suggestions as to what I could do myself to help it work better, would really be appreciated.

I am using Windows Vista Home Basic

frankiesgirl1
captainron276   (Ron) captainron276 is offline captainron276 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,699 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-Aug-2012, 12:17 PM #2
Please use the TSG System Info tool to let Tech's know the specs of your computer: http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe Copy and paste the results here in your thread.
Also, if its a brand name system like an Acer,Dell or HP, please post the exact model of the system.
Computer Specs
Member with 39 posts.

18-Aug-2012, 02:34 PM #3
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Basic, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 4000+, x64 Family 15 Model 95 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 1
RAM: 2302 Mb
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon X1250, 256 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 71453 MB, Free - 29404 MB; D: Total - 71178 MB, Free - 12148 MB; L: Total - 152588 MB, Free - 99889 MB;
Motherboard: Acer, F690GVM
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled
Aspire M1100
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,556 posts.

Experience: Advanced
19-Aug-2012, 03:01 PM #4
The Acer Aspire M1100 desktop has 4 slots and supports a maximum of 4 GB of DDR2 RAM.

http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/de...m1100sp2.shtml

Your specs is showing 2302 MB, so I'm guessing it currently has 2560 MB(2.5 GB) or 3172 MB(3 GB).

Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit will run fine on that amount, unless you're using programs or doing computing functions that require a lot of RAM.

-------------------------------------------------------

If you've reverted that desktop back to its original factory twice and is still having the same issues, it's my guess it's a combination of what you have installed and how you're using it.

-------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs
Member with 39 posts.

20-Aug-2012, 05:59 AM #5
Hello,

Thanks for the help. I am not quite sure what you mean when you say it is how I am using it. I don't really know what I should not be doing or what I should not have installed as I only have softwear on it that I have used before and not had any problems with.

Thanks

Dawn
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs

20-Aug-2012, 08:49 AM #6
Are you using any registry "cleaner/fixer" type programs in that computer?

----------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs
Member with 39 posts.

20-Aug-2012, 04:31 PM #7
Hello

None, I have it set to defrag every week and I just clean it (remove temporary files, ect) from the options menu.
Computer Specs

21-Aug-2012, 08:02 AM #8
Defragging the hard drive more than once a month usually isn't needed, and frequent defragging puts wear and stress on it.

------------------------------------------------------------
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!