Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Can't use Windows Update after a repair install

(!)

Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Beginner
28-Aug-2012, 10:43 AM #1
Can't use Windows Update after a repair install
I have Dell XPS Q6600 with Windows Vista Home Premium 32 Bit.

I recently had a major startup failure, which the root cause is still unknown to me(but if I had to guess it was a virus). I tried several things to fix that issue and none of them resolved it, so I did a repair install off my Vista reinstall dvd, which installed service pack 1.

After the fresh install, I went to run windows update to catch up on the last 4 years of updates, and a few of the updates installed, but the majority did not. Each time I try to install the remaining 89 updates I get 3 errors, Code 80070570, Code FFFFFFFE and Code 8007001F.

I have tried just installing 1 update at a time and get an error each time, I get Code 80070570 when I try a single update install.

Another problem that I have(that I assume is related) A few minutes after I startup my computer I get an error message that says "Host process for windows services stopped working and was closed".

I have read online for solutions and have tried many things(but am willing to try anything and everything again). I read about trying to manually install updates, or download them off the MS website. I was able to download and install Service Pack 2 by doing that, but still have 89 updates I need to install.

Any help or solutions would be greatly appreciated. And just let me know if there is any information you need from me.
Computer Specs
Member with 9 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
28-Aug-2012, 12:49 PM #2
If you receive Windows Update error FFFFFFFE, it means that an update can't be installed because of a problem on your computer.
This problem is usually caused by a malware (malicious software) infection. To prevent your computer from becoming unstable, Windows won't install the update.
Computer Specs
Member with 9 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
28-Aug-2012, 12:50 PM #3
Download and install the latest version of “Windows Update Agent ” on your computer.

How to obtain the latest version of the Windows Update Agent to help manage updates on a computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104
Information for network administrators about how to obtain the latest Windows Update Agent
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946928
To reinstall Windows Update Agent - download the relevant file for your system and save it to a drive where Vista is not loaded because the file cannot be launched directly from the system root directory.
Click Start, click Run, type: "D:\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce" (without quotations) and then press Enter to install the Windows Update engine.

Note: There is a space between "D:\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe" and "/wuforce"
D: is the drive where Windows is not installed (ie a flash drive or a 2nd hard drive etc)
Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Beginner
28-Aug-2012, 01:16 PM #4
I have tried the Windows Update Agent multiple times. It does the scan, say it found a problem with the "Windows Update Component" and then it says it fixed it, but I still cannot install any updates.

file:///C:/Users/Bones/Documents/ResultReport.html
is a link to the report of the Windows Update Agent.

Any other things I can try?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!