Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Taskkill not working anymore

(!)

Member with 1 posts.

11-Sep-2012, 12:08 PM #1
Taskkill not working anymore
So a few days ago I got this nasty piece of spyware that infected my PC. It was one of those redirect ones that infects the boot sector. So I got it cleaned and everything running as it should except for my batch file I have to that runs taskkill that kills all processes of iexplore.exe.

Now all I get when I run taskkill /F /IM iexplore.exe
ERROR - The specific module could not be found.

Turns out I can't kill anything using it now, not even by pids. I can still kill things using the task manager though.

I ran sfc /scannow and everything was fine with the system files. There is nothing weird being run in the task manager and malwarebytes is coming up clean and so is symantec endpoint. No infections anywhere. I even checked to make sure the path was correct.

I am running it as an admin and thats the first thing I checked. My user account shows administrator. So I am thinking something got changed in the registry but I am not sure where to look or what would have changed. One other thing which is odd that started happening after all this is there is no information in the system window on my processor and ram anymore which was showing before I got hit with the virus.

Vista SP2 is the OS I am running.
Member with 2,536 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
14-Sep-2012, 06:28 AM #2
I would back up all your data and re-install Vista, or use Factory Recovery if relevant.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!