Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Vista sp1 says installed but doesn't act like it!

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 23 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-Sep-2012, 07:18 PM #1
Solved: Vista sp1 says installed but doesn't act like it!
I bought this computer at W-Mart in '07' and the motherboard died shortly after the warranty ran out. I finally put a new MB in and ran all of the updates (yeah, five years worth). They all seemed to install OK except for service pack 1. Updates is telling me that it is installed but when I go to download SP2, they tell me I need SP1 first. I ran the update several times and the same story each time...am I doing something wrong or is there something I am missing?
I contacted Microsoft and they wanted $99.00 to do the install from their location. I don't have the hundred bucks and don't think I should have to pay for the fix in the first place.
Can anyone help me with this, I can't use some software like the latest IE updates, (not that I care for IE but I make my own websites and need to check cross browser functionality. Thanks!
Compq SR2173WM
2.2Ghz AMD 64
1 Gb ram
200 Gb HD

Last edited by storkfmny; 18-Sep-2012 at 07:21 PM.. Reason: Forgot something
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

18-Sep-2012, 10:10 PM #2
What's the same story? Why doesn't SP1 install?
Computer Specs
Member with 1 posts.

19-Sep-2012, 05:34 PM #3
I finally found a way to install Vista Service Pack
I reinstalled my Vista operating system on my HP and afterward couldn't load Service Pack 1. Must have tried eight different times, it downloaded, showed up in my list as installed but wasn't there. Without it I can't install Service Pack 2 and upgrade my Internet Explorer. I finally decided to try downloading the program and saving it to a folder and then burning it to a CD. I used my desktop computer to save the program and burn the Cd and then I loaded the CD onto my Vista notebook, and voila...the darned thing worked. It installed it, ran though the updates and all. Did all the restarts it warned would happen and took the hour or so it said it would take. Now I have SP2 burned to a CD and hopefully will have the same success with it.
Computer Specs
Member with 23 posts.

19-Sep-2012, 07:11 PM #4
Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try. Sounds kinda weird but worth a try.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 56,888 posts.

Experience: Advanced
20-Sep-2012, 09:51 AM #5
storkfmny:

If you're doing a clean install of the original version of Windows Vista, you should have the full 434 MB SP1 upgrade and the full 348 MB SP2 upgrade burned to a DVD-R or 2 CD-R's.

After the original version of Windows Vista is installed, use that media to install SP1 and then SP2.

Once that's done, do a scan at Windows Updates so you can download and install the necessary post-SP2 important/recommended updates.

------------------------------------------------------

The Compaq Presario SR2173WM desktop was introduced in December 2006 and came with Windows Vista Home Premium(32-bit) installed.

It came with only 1 GB of RAM, but it supports up to 4 GB, so you need to add at least another 1 GB so Windows Vista won't run like a turtle in it.

It uses DDR2 PC2-5300(667 MHz) modules.

This is the recommended 2 GB upgrade for it.

------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by flavallee; 20-Sep-2012 at 10:01 AM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!