Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

C: drive now X: drive No recognized file sys, Recovery disk no help

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 6 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-Oct-2012, 12:48 PM #1
C: drive now X: drive No recognized file sys, Recovery disk no help
I have a Sony Vaio VGC-LT25E with Vista Home premium. I had installed Fedora 13 and lost Vista. Now I have no operating system.
I have no C: drive, instead I have an X: drive
I can't reinstall Vista from recovery disks. I've tried everything.
I can only access the command prompt which reads: X:\Windows\system32>
chkdsk does not work.
FixBoot does not work.
DISKPART shows: Disk 0, online status, size 466gb, free 433 gb
Partition 1, Primary, size 29GB, offset 1024 KB
Partition 2, Primary, size 4000MB, offset 29GB
Volume 0, Ltr C, label - none, FS - RAW, Type - partition, size 4000mb, status healthy
Volume 1, ltr D, label - nong, FS - none, Type DVD-ROM, size, 0B, Status - no media (this is the Recovery Disk)
Partition 1
type: 83
Hidden: yes
active: no
Partition 2
type: 07 (was 82, I changed it)
Hidden: mo
active: yes

I need this to boot both Windows and Fedora as I am an online student. Please help. I am getting very behind in classes. Help is appreciated.
Computer Specs
Member with 6 posts.

04-Oct-2012, 05:10 PM #2
I have managed to get the C: drive to show on my hard drive as an NTFS but still can't install Vista. When I run Startup repair it says it cannot repair this computer automatically. Problem signature 06: NoOSInstalled. Problem signature 09: FixPartitionTable. At my wits end. Thanks!
Member with 1,691 posts.

07-Oct-2012, 12:28 AM #3
The first thing I would do is boot to your Fedora Live CD and recover any important files you need. They can be transferred to a USB stick or external hard drive.

What type of media are you using to try reinstallation? Do you have a Vista DVD or are you using the recovery partition?

What errors are you getting when trying to reinstall Vista? Or is it just not working at all due to the partitions having been altered? I'm guessing that the Fedora install altered the partitions rendering the recovery partition unusable.

What configuration are you trying to accomplish? A dual boot Vista and Fedora? Why do you need Fedora? If its for networking or programming you might be ahead to just install it as a virtual machine (VM) using either VMware or Virtualbox. Both are free.
Computer Specs
Member with 6 posts.

08-Oct-2012, 09:15 AM #4
I've tried the Vista DVD's to reinstall/restore and they are useless.

I need Linux for a class I am taking. I need Vista for other classes that require Microsoft Office. I am trying to set up a dual boot Vista/Fedora 13 (disk that came with textbook).

I am very confused about how the partitions are supposed to be laid out. Right now if I boot into Windows using the recovery disks and get to the command prompt I see X:/windows/system32> rather than a C: drive. I am unable to copy the drivers from the X:drive to the C: drive.

The error messages I am getting are:
The volume does not contain a recognized file system error 1005(0X000003ED)
Boot sector for disk partition is corrupt Error code-0X490
No Volumes associated with partition

Under storage devices (in Linux) I can see that I have:
Local Storage:
PATA Host Adapter - 82801HBM/HEM IDE Controller
CD/DVD/BD drive - MATSHITA UJ-2255
SATA Host Adapter - 82801HBM/HEM AHCI
50 GB Hard Disk - ATA ST3500830AS (port 1 of SATA Host Adapter) Partitioning: MBR, Disk has a few bad sectors. Device /dev/sda
Volumes:
Unknown 524 MB, Device: /dev/sda1, Partition type:NTFS (0X07), Partition flags: bootable.
524 MB ext 4, Usage: filesystem, device: /dev/sda2, Partition type: Linux (0X83), Mounted at: /boot.
499 GB LVM2, device: /dev/sda3, Partition type: Linux LVM (0X8e)
Multi-disk Devices (RAID, LVM, and other logical drives) - Completely blank
vg_vaio - 499 GB LVM2 Volume Group - Physical volumes 1, state: running
Logical volumes:
54 GB ext 4, vol name: lv_root, device /dev/dm-0, Usage: filesystem, Mounted at / (no partition type listed)
440 GB ext 4, vol name: lv_home, device /dev/dm-2, Usage: filesystem, Mounted at /home (no partition type listed)
5.3 GB Swap: vol name: lw_swap, device /dev/dm-1, Usage: swap space (no partition type listed)

I did not have the LVM at first that happened the last time I had to re-install Linux. I know I have a train wreck on my hands but I think I can get it straightened out with a little direction.

Last edited by Ukel; 08-Oct-2012 at 09:36 AM.. Reason: No finished.
Member with 1,691 posts.

08-Oct-2012, 10:37 AM #5
Well, you've certainly got a mess there. I've found that the time it takes to unravel something like that situation makes just wiping the drive and starting over the better option. So, what I would do.....

Assuming that you've got all your "must have" files off the drive:

1) I'd boot to your live Fedora CD and delete all the partitions using GParted.

2) Using GParted, I'd create 4 primary partitions, approx 50 Gigs for Windows (format NTFS), 20-50 G for Linux (format EXT4), about 2 G for linux swap (format swap) and the rest for data (format NTFS) that would be available to both windows and linux. The advantage of a separate data partition is that you can reinstall your operating systems without disturbing your data.

3) Install Windows first (on the NTFS partition). Install linux next (on the EXT4 partition). At this point make sure you can boot both, if you can't now's the time to get that straightened out. If you're not getting an option to boot Windows, usually updating GRUB boot loader (from within Fedora) will fix it.

Optional) Once you get both operating systems up and running as you need them, I'd image them with Acronis or Clonezilla or similar and store the images on both the data partition and an external hard drive. These images are used so you don't have to reinstall.

This is just how I would do it, other people may have ideas that fit your situation better.

Last edited by DVOM; 08-Oct-2012 at 10:44 AM..
Computer Specs
Member with 6 posts.

08-Oct-2012, 11:28 AM #6
Gparted/Clonezilla
I'm assuming GParted is a program but at this point I don't really want to assume anything so, is it a Vista program or a Linux program? If I am wiping the drives clean how do I install this program as well as Clonezilla or Acronis? I have an external hard drive but I'm not sure, in Linux, how to save these programs to it. I guess I'm a little intimidated at this point.
Thanks for your help!
Computer Specs
Member with 6 posts.

08-Oct-2012, 02:54 PM #7
Running gparted now. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Member with 1,691 posts.

08-Oct-2012, 02:59 PM #8
Most linux CDs will run "live" meaning they load into memory and don't need to be installed to your hard drive. They run kinda slow this way but they get the job done. And every Live Linux CD/DVD comes with a partition editor, frequently GParted.

So boot to the Fedora CD, if asked to install or try it first, go with the "try it first" option. Then, when on the desktop, look in system tools or administrative tools for GParted. They might call it a partitioning tool or similar.
Computer Specs
Member with 6 posts.

09-Oct-2012, 11:59 PM #9
Ok, I got gparted to run from a CD I burned on another computer. Now I have the partitions set up like you suggested. When I try to install Vista from the System Recovery DVD's I get to a screen that says it is looking for the OS to install but then can't find one and asks me to load the drivers. I can see there is a C: drive for Vista and it has a boot folder with Windows etc in it but it will not allow me to install the program. I still have the X: drive showing up but I do not see it as part of my partitions. Curious and curiouser!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
10-Oct-2012, 12:54 AM #10
There are no letters assigned to any partitions or drives until they are assigned by whatever OS you are booting. DOS is long gone. Thus, the drive letters are irrelevant since they do not exist except in the booted OS and can be any letter. What is X: in one can be C: or D: in another. C: has not "changed" to X:. It is just that X: was the letter assigned by the OS that booted. So stop using drive letters for identification since they change easily and often. Use size, location, or contents to identify partitions.

Use gparted to remove all partitions from the drive. If you have full recovery disks, they will create the new partitions at the beginning of the recovery phase.

No changes can ordinarily be made to any partitions on a machine with a recovery partition without losing recovery. But the exception is when you have recovery disks since you can still recover even when access to the partition is lost. But it is, in general, at the risk of the loss of access to recovery that any changes whatever are made to the partition structure. Even formatting one partition can change the partitions and MBR enough to alter the boot sequence and therefore the ability to access the recovery partition.
Member with 1,691 posts.

10-Oct-2012, 05:06 AM #11
Did the recovery disks come with the computer or did you make them? I believe the difference would be whether they would do a full install or just repair an install.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!