Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

complete desktop downgrade

(!)

Member with 9 posts.

24-Jun-2013, 08:12 AM #1
complete desktop downgrade
Hello, I'm running Windows Vista on a Dell Optiplex XE. Recently I've been having some comp issues (running slow, failures to shut down) that I'm pretty sure began when I installed Windows Bing as my default home page. I despised Bing anyway, but when I tried to get Google back to being my Mozilla home page things went VERY badly. I became unable to open Mozilla, IF, Google Chrome, and not being very technically oriented I just decided to try a restart. Since that restart Bing appears thankfully gone-but my desktop has been radically altered. I've lost files containing pictures from my desktop-I later found them on my hard drive after a search, but when I opened them the thumbnails now just display a generic picture along with the descriptions. I've also lost all my Mozilla bookmarks and my Windows are bordered in grey. My toolbar is also grey. Oddly, when I log in as 'guest' everything functions fine, thumbnails are visible, standard Vista brown borders, etc. I'm guessing this is a weird problem that I'll eventually have to contact a local service person about, but if anyone has advice, or can simply tell me how I messed up, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
captainron276   (Ron) captainron276 is offline captainron276 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,699 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-Jun-2013, 09:13 AM #2
To help us help you,please use the TSG System Info tool to let Tech's know the specs of your computer: http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe Copy and paste the results here in your thread. You can use the TSG Info to fill in your computer information in your user profile as well.
Member with 9 posts.

24-Jun-2013, 09:16 AM #3
Here you go

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version:
Processor:
Processor Count:
RAM:
Graphics Card:
Hard Drives:
Motherboard:
Antivirus: None

Though I think I've messed up
Member with 9 posts.

24-Jun-2013, 09:35 AM #4
Tried again using the tool under primary log-in

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Business, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7400 @ 2.80GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3034 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) Q45/Q43 Express Chipset, 1292 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 150482 MB, Free - 17540 MB; D: Total - 2047 MB, Free - 2008 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 08N8V4
Antivirus: Lavasoft Ad-Aware, Disabled

Hope that helps
captainron276   (Ron) captainron276 is offline captainron276 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,699 posts.

24-Jun-2013, 10:03 AM #5
Is there a reason your not using an Anti-Virus program? Lets see if one of the Tech's authorized to help you with this checks in soon.
Member with 9 posts.

24-Jun-2013, 10:14 AM #6
Until my problem occurred yesterday I've always had Norton Security Suite providing primary security with Lavasoft's Ad-Aware as backup. I'm showing Norton as still being active, I need to reinstate Ad-Aware. Thanks
Computer Specs
Member with 3,699 posts.

24-Jun-2013, 10:18 AM #7
Try taking it back via System Restore to a date/time prior to Bing.

http://bertk.mvps.org/html/restoresysv.html
Member with 9 posts.

24-Jun-2013, 11:01 AM #8
Tried doing system restore to oldest date available. No effect.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,699 posts.

24-Jun-2013, 11:12 AM #9
Try checking your HD for errors if you have not recently.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...isk-for-errors
Member with 9 posts.

24-Jun-2013, 12:51 PM #10
Just ran full Disc Check. No errors found. Still got primitive window frames and taskbar, plus no thumbnail pictures. If you got any more ideas fantastic but I'm starting to think whatever did this to my comp may be irreparable
Computer Specs
Member with 3,699 posts.

24-Jun-2013, 01:06 PM #11
How often do you use your Registry cleaner/optimizer with Norton Security Suite? If you have recently you might try undoing what it found. Those cleaners can be a real pain in the pooter
Computer Specs
Member with 3,699 posts.

24-Jun-2013, 01:16 PM #12
I use to use several of those so called Cleaners/Optimizer's until my Registry became so corrupted that the only hope was to do a clean install. I have not used one since, been over two years. Check this out from one of our trusted Adviser/Tech's.

Quote:
Quote from Phantom010

You should avoid Registry Cleaners, Boosters, Optimizers, TuneUp Utilities... This type of software will do a lot more harm than good, and should only be used by advanced users who really know their way around the registry. Never to be used blindly on "Auto" mode. Most members coming here with WEIRD symptoms had their computer messed up by malware and/or registry cleaners. These utilities do not only remove what "they think" are orphan entries in the registry but legitimate files still in use will be deleted in the process, crippling some programs and Windows applications beyond repair. In a word, it's a scam.

Keep in mind that they will always find "errors" to fix, even on a fresh Windows install! In itself, this should be enough to convince non-believers...

http://library.techguy.org/wiki/Registry_Cleaners

http://www.edbott.com/weblog/2005/04...stry-cleaners/

http://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2008/...eaking_13.html

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001077.htm
TheShooter93   (Cody) TheShooter93 is offline TheShooter93 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 10,083 posts.

Experience: Advanced
24-Jun-2013, 01:16 PM #13
Hello gassy2,

Let's see a few things:

Click Start.

In the search bar, type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

Under Device Manager, expand the following panes:

Display Adapters

List what entries are listed there, along with any status icons such as an exclamation point, question mark, etc.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Right-click your Desktop.

Click "Personalize".

Verify that you have selected "Windows 7" as your theme. You can customize this later if you need to.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

You mentioned that you use both Ad-Aware and Norton. You should never have two antivirus programs installed and running simultaneously.

Please choose one to keep and uninstall the other fully.

Also, as a note, you do not have to pay for antivirus. I use Microsoft Security Essentials on all my computer and it is a completely free and comprehensive antivirus suite. It is one of many such as Avast! Antivirus, Avira, AVG, etc. If you are interesting in switching to one of these free alternatives, let me know and I can direct you further.
Member with 9 posts.

24-Jun-2013, 01:38 PM #14
Under Display Adaptors I'm showing only 'Intel(R) q45/q43 Express Chipset', which appears to be working.

Under themes the generic desktop background I have up now is called 'Modified Theme'. When I try to change it to Windows Vista or Windows Classic I get a msg that reads 'The visual styles could not be applied. Access is Denied'.

I'm uninstalling Ad-Aware right after sending this post

Thanks for trying to get me out of this mess
TheShooter93   (Cody) TheShooter93 is offline TheShooter93 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 10,083 posts.

Experience: Advanced
24-Jun-2013, 02:03 PM #15
If the only change you made was to make Bing your homepage, your display, other computer settings, etc., should not have been affected.

I'm inclined to think your system has been infected with malware.

Please see the directions below.

---------------------------------------------------------

Please post to the Virus & Other Malware Removal section of this site. This section of our site is dedicated solely to the removal of malware. The members that are allowed to post there are all trained in malware removal, and like the rest of our site, is 100% free with an all-volunteer staff. You will find gold shields next to their name, indicating they are a Malware Removal Expert.

Before you post there though, make sure to read THIS.

Lastly, due to the limited number of volunteer staff members in that section of the site, responses (especially the initial one) will not be as quick as what you have received here (where anyone can post). It is well worth the wait. I've been in training for three years and am still not finished, so believe me when I tell you, they know what they are doing.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!